cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 2.8 - Focusing Issue

sarahr_7
Enthusiast

Hi all - 

I have been having some issues with this lens (70-200 2.8 IS ii). These examples were shot at f/ 2.8 and when you zoom in, you can see that really there is nothing in focus. It appears like a total lack of focal plane. I use back button auto focus + single point and focus on the eyes. 

Here is the original photo

Camera: Canon 70d 

Settings

• Manual Mode
  • ISO: 250
  • 182mm
  • f/3.2
  • 1/5000s

Focus

• one shot 
  • center focus point

Distance

• Probably about 10-15 away 
  • I switched between 1.2-infinity and 2.5-infinity but both gave me the same results

When I use live view, I am able to get a crisp photo. I just wish I could get the same resutls with the viewfinder. (When I look the viewfinder, the photo looks sharp, but when I look at it - it comes out like this). 

Any tips or advice for shooting with this lens and nailing focus would be greatly appreciated!

P.S: The lens has been calibrated (at home) and the photos still come out like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.04.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.04.18 PM.pngIMG_4981.JPGIMG_4982.JPGIMG_7559.JPGScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.10.00 PM.png

And this is with Live View: 

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.16.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.17.09 PM.png

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Let's 

@sarahr_7 wrote:

Hi all - 

I have been having some issues with this lens (70-200 2.8 IS ii). These examples were shot at f/ 2.8 and when you zoom in, you can see that really there is nothing in focus. It appears like a total lack of focal plane. I use back button auto focus + single point and focus on the eyes. 

When I use live view, I am able to get a crisp photo. I just wish I could get the same resutls with the viewfinder. (When I look the viewfinder, the photo looks sharp, but when I look at it - it comes out like this). 

Any tips or advice for shooting with this lens and nailing focus would be greatly appreciated!

P.S: The lens has been calibrated (at home) and the photos still come out like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.04.18 PM.png

Let's pick a photo.  Need some more info from you.  How much is this image cropped?  Which camera?

What were your exposure settings?  

Which AF mode?  One Shot?

Which AF point(s) did you use?

How far away were your subjects, and did you set the focus range on the lens to match?

Which shooting mode on the top mode dial are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Let's pick a photo.  Need some more info from you.  How much is this image cropped?  Which camera?

How far away were your subjects, and did you set the focus range on the lens to match?

Settings

• Manual Mode
  • 182mm
  • f/3.2
  • 1/5000s

Focus

• one shot 
  • center focus point

Distance

• I switched between 1.2-infinity and 2.5-infinity but both gave me the same results

1 - Focus Example.png

@sarahr_7 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Settings

• Manual Mode
  • 182mm
  • f/3.2
  • 1/5000s

Focus

• one shot 
  • center focus point

Distance

Thanks, for the clear and concise answers.  I agree with the others.  Zero out the AFMA settings.  Leave it cleared out.

Making those adjustments should be a last resort, not a first option.  It is easier to come up with a bad set of numbers than a good set.  It is a deceptively difficult task.  I am not saying it is hard, just that it is not easy to do.  It can test your skills just as much the gear.

09CAE029-41A9-4E33-BBEC-B5583A5D1D50.jpeg

You are also working with a very narrow Depth of Field, too.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Thanks, for the clear and concise answers.  I agree with the others.  Zero out the AFMA settings.  Leave it cleared out.

Making those adjustments should be a last resort, not a first option.  It is easier to come up with a bad set of numbers than a good set.  It is a deceptively difficult task.  I am not saying it is hard, just that it is not easy to do.  It can test your skills just as much the gear.

09CAE029-41A9-4E33-BBEC-B5583A5D1D50.jpeg

You are also working with a very narrow Depth of Field, too.  

Okay, thank you! I will clear them out and see if I can get better results! 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@sarahr_7 wrote:

Hi all - 

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.04.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.04.18 PM.pngIMG_4981.JPGIMG_4982.JPGIMG_7559.JPGScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.10.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.16.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.17.09 PM.png

You say you get sharp images with LIVE view and unsharp through the optical viewfinder.  Is everything else constant?  I.e. only variable is the viewing method?

You say you calibrated the lens - I assume you mean AFMA?

If the only variable is the viewing method then you need to check your AFMA settings.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

You say you get sharp images with LIVE view and unsharp through the optical viewfinder.  Is everything else constant?  I.e. only variable is the viewing method?

You say you calibrated the lens - I assume you mean AFMA?

If the only variable is the viewing method then you need to check your AFMA settings.

Yes, it was with the microadjustment settings in my camera. It seems like I can never nail focus when I use the ptical viewfinder. I may need to re-visit those settings 

I'm wondering if the diopter setting is masking the issue (regarding the difference with live view vs the viewfinder).

Anyhow, what was the reason to apply microadjustments in the first place?  Did you find consistent issues (e.g. backfocussing)?

When I had my 50mm f/1.2 lens on a EOS 6D, I found that combo had consistent problems, so I did the micro adjustments.  But that same exact copy of the 50mm lens worked a-ok on my 5D IV without any adjustments.

Also, what equipment did you use for the adjustments?  I personally use Datacolor's SpyderLENSCAL product.

Finally, if you absolutely need to apply adjustments, note that you'd want to be at a distance of say your average distance from your subject.  That can be tough to choose just one value though, especially with a zoom lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Now the truth about AFMA.  It does not make, not one tiny bit, you lens any sharper.  This is impossible unless a mechanical part is changed, removed or replaced, once the lens is constructed.  What it does is move the critical focus point in or out.  You can get it so far off you are not actually focusing on what you think you are. Set it back to zero and do my test.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Diopter won’t make a difference as long as the OP is not manually tweaking focus.

Frequently AFMA is not necessary. Reset AFMA to “0” and see what happens.

If you think you need AFMA try using the Canon approach. Link to follow.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements