cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$650 for Canon EF 35mm f1.4 L . Is it a good deal?

AutumnApple
Enthusiast

I found this deal locally and will be able to test before purchase. Is $650  a good deal for this lens? There is a website online saying you can check when Canon lens was manufacture base on serial number/date code. Is it accurate or it's just a myth?  Lens looks like it's in very good shape by the way, but using the date code data online, it said it's quiet old, 2006. 

TIA

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I recall correctly it sold for $1500 new.  It is a nice lens I had one but sold it to get the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon which I still have.  Both lenses are very sharp but the Sigma is scary sharp.  It has to be one of the sharpest lenses ever made and it is $900 new.  Never the less the Canon 35mil is a great lens for $650.

Kinda funny for me as I sold my Sigma 50mil f1.4 Art, which is probably the second most sharp lens made, in favor of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens.  The 50mil f1.2 is such a beautiful lens and there is nothing like f1.2.  Sometimes the sharpest isn't the best but don't let the spokesman for the industry read this.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If I recall correctly it sold for $1500 new.  It is a nice lens I had one but sold it to get the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon which I still have.  Both lenses are very sharp but the Sigma is scary sharp.  It has to be one of the sharpest lenses ever made and it is $900 new.  Never the less the Canon 35mil is a great lens for $650.

Kinda funny for me as I sold my Sigma 50mil f1.4 Art, which is probably the second most sharp lens made, in favor of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens.  The 50mil f1.2 is such a beautiful lens and there is nothing like f1.2.  Sometimes the sharpest isn't the best but don't let the spokesman for the industry read this.

Thanks, Ebiggs1. Yes, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art is very tempting for me even though I just have crazy bad luck with non-canon lens no matter buying used or new, always end up with some issues

Also My Canon 7D was dead so I am looking for a replacement/upgrade. I am keeping my eyes on Canon 80D and Canon 6D. If I buy this lens, should I just pick the fullframe 6D?

The ef 35mil would be a nice lens on either camera, the 80D where it is a normal AOV and the 6D where it is a mild WA. But a real nice useful FL.

Here is what I would do if you need a camera and a lens.  I would go with the 80D and the ef-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

I would have said the 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens but you said you don't prefer to buy off brand lenses.  That combo is better than anything you can do to the 6D and whatever lens, IMHO, of course. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Almost to the point of buying my own. I already own 5 cameras, 3 of which I rarely use.

The only way to top it is with the 6D and the ef 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  You know the price point of that combo!?

"I just have crazy bad luck with non-canon lens  ..."

Are the trouble makers current and/or Art series lenses?  I have a lot of lenses and I have had a lot of lenses. I agree the quality and the CS of Tamron and Sigma used to be suspect.  Tokina was and still is non-existent, be very careful buying them.  I can only recommend one.  Sigma was recently sold and bought by a new company.  They are doing 100% better than they used to be.  Tamron is a close second.  Of course none and to add not many companies of any kind rise to the level of Canon customer service.  Not to mention there second to none in quality camera gear.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements