cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV + EF 50mm f1.8 STM?

DeanBlakely
Apprentice

I happened to get a second hand 5D Mark IV (how happy I am!!) in exchange to the content of my piggy bank but now I need to save again for lenses. The only lens I have atm and might be compatible with it is the EF 50mm f1.8 stm. That was such a cheap lens in comparison to the price of the camera that I am just having a hard time believing that it indeed can work with the 5D. Could you guys please confirm it before I break either the camera or the lens? (I cannot believe I've got this camera hence me being extra super cautious) TIA

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Any EF lens will work with full-frame EF-mount cameras such as the 6D, 5D and 1D line.  And, will also work with APS-C (crop sensor) cameras also with an EF mount (e.g. 7D, 90D).

If instead you had an EF-S lens, that would not work on your 5D IV.  Those lenses are designed for the APS-C cameras only.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not only will it work but it will work beautifully.  For years back in the day the standard or normal combo was a 35mm camera with a 50mm lens. I.E., a 5D Mk IV and the ef 50mm f1.8.

The only difference from then until today is the advance in the IQ from zoom lenses.  The need for a prime lens like the 50mm has become less and less. In truth any prime is more difficult to use than a zoom. Not really more difficult in its ability but more restricting.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@DeanBlakely wrote:

I happened to get a second hand 5D Mark IV (how happy I am!!) in exchange to the content of my piggy bank but now I need to save again for lenses. The only lens I have atm and might be compatible with it is the EF 50mm f1.8 stm. That was such a cheap lens in comparison to the price of the camera that I am just having a hard time believing that it indeed can work with the 5D. Could you guys please confirm it before I break either the camera or the lens? (I cannot believe I've got this camera hence me being extra super cautious) TIA

Dean, I have both the 5D4 and the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, in fact, I took a bunch of shots using the 50 this morning. Not sure you are aware of this, but this little lense's nickname is "The Nifty Fifty". Actually, the first version was coined the nifty 50, but the STM version carries on that legacy. Don't let the price of this lens fool you 😉

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements