cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark 3 auto focus problem.

w15938713330
Contributor

I probably shudl post my question on lens section but i cant find the section anywhere.

Here is the thing , I bought a used 24-70 2.8L USM online, tne seller claimed that he tested the functionality and no problem upon mailing the lens.

However I run into some issuses.

1)When I use AF, the lens is consistently focusing in front and back without actually taking the picture.Pictures shot by MF is normal and working normally.
2) The eyecup vision is extremely dark through the lens.I can barely see the object through the eyecup.

I tried with different lens(24-105mm) but non of the problem occurred(Using exact camera setting). Since i am a beginner , is this issue about my camear, or i should try to fix the lens. How can i reslove those two problems.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Definitely return it and make sure you follow all of the "rules" if this is from ebay or another online auction site to avoid problems.  Although the aperture petals MAY have gotten stuck during shipping, it is likely this problem was known before it was sold so don't expect the seller to necessarily be gracious in accepting the return.  A stuck aperture is not uncommon on a lens that has been left to sit for a very long period of time but once it happens the only way to be confident it won't be an ongoing issue is to have it properly serviced and since this is far from a "rare" lens it would be best to return it and get a good working copy.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Right now in los angeles all non essential business are closed. I am taking the easier way, which is return it for good. 

I spent $650 for this lens guess i have to return it , thanks for the estimated price !

Thanks for the extra information I have sarted the return process, hopefully it goes smoothly !!!! I love this commCommunity !!!so helpful !!

I am taking your suggestion! already sent messege to the seller about return.

What a coincidence, the latest Lens Rentals Podcast #23 is about how to buy a used lens.

i did some reserch before purchsing . the apperacne of the lens was acutally perfect.It was really hard to notice some flaws without actually testing it

I think returning it was the smart move.  If you go the discount from seller followed by repair route it could potentially get more expensive than you expected and as you noted most repair places are closed.  CPS sent out the notice earlier that only one Canon factory service center is still open in the U.S. (Newport News VA) and because of COVID they aren't accepting walk in customers.

I have purchased a couple of used lens over the years with good results but in addition to doing due diligence there is still a matter of luck involved-especially if purchasing from individuals. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

it is my first time online shopping for used lens i am very disappointed. I just purchased a refurbished 24-70 2.8 2L from conon official website with $1500, hopefully the experience is better this time 

@w15938713330 wrote:

it is my first time online shopping for used lens i am very disappointed. I just purchased a refurbished 24-70 2.8 2L from conon official website with $1500, hopefully the experience is better this time 

The Canon refurb store has an excellent reputation. It's unlikely that you will be disappointed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree with Robert, the refurb section of Canon USA is excellent.  It doesn't offer the steep discounts available through some of the auction sites but instead of coming with the risk of a misrepresented and malfunctioning product it is a properly checked out product with a warranty.

My only complaint about the refurb shop is very rarely do they have the specific item I am looking for but for the more popular items in the Canon line it is a great shopping location.

Enjoy the new lens when it arrives!

Rodger

Announcements