cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

55/250 lens not working like new...

jmccann19661
Apprentice

I have a 2 .5 year old T5 with a 55/250 zoom lens. I have taken about 15,000 pictures with it. I use AF and the sports setting and take pics at basketball games. I travel to the same gymnasiums every year, same lighting, same seating area. However, the pics I am taking now are not nearly as sharp as the ones from even a year ago. Any ideas? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is the front of your lens dirty?  The front element can become covered in a hazy film over time.  It can go unnoticed until you take pictures with light sources in them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have cleaned it, but will try it again, thanks!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the pics I am taking now are not nearly as sharp as the ones from even a year ago."

And if you look in places that aren't responsible like a 'hazy' front element you will never find the culprit.  It is possible the lens has gotten out of spec.  Only Canon can fix that.

Beside simply parts wesaring out, fungus can be a problem. It secretes an acid that etches the multicoating of the lens elements, so even if you disassemble and clean the lens, the damage is likely permanent and will to some degree, affect the sharpness of the lens.  Canon can replace parts but fungus may not be possible to remove.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

jmccann19661 wrote:

I have a 2 .5 year old T5 with a 55/250 zoom lens. I have taken about 15,000 pictures with it. I use AF and the sports setting and take pics at basketball games. I travel to the same gymnasiums every year, same lighting, same seating area. However, the pics I am taking now are not nearly as sharp as the ones from even a year ago. Any ideas? Thanks!

Can you check the ISO/aperture/ shutter speed for last years photos and compare them to this years photos to rule out any user error? 

Shooting sports indoors is difficult, and requires a fast aperture and/or high ISO.  

Mike Sowsun
Announcements