cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

55-250 IS STM Opinions Please

GenXRailmedia
Enthusiast

A few years back, I owned the IS II version of the 55-250, but was never completely satisfied with the IQ.  I loved the focal length versatility and thought about it often after replacing it (kind of like an ex-girlfriend, but I digress...)

Now I'm seeing that there is an IS STM version available and by averaging out all of the reviews that I've read, I'm impressed with what I'm reading.  The new version has 15 elements/12 groups as opposed to the old with 12/10. I realize that more elements don't always equate to higher quality, but it sounds like a marked improvement to me. 

As much as I would like to go with the 70-200 F/4L that the 250 STM is often compared to, it just isn't in the budget at the moment.  I'm thinking it would nicely compliment my new 650D, have slightly more reach and better be supported than my current dinosaur 70-210 3.5-4.5 USM.  

Should I give this lens another try?  Also, any opinions on whether STM AF is fast enough for shooting sports?  I love the ring USM on the above 210, but really miss the IS as well.  The price just can't be beat, either, averaging around $150.

12 REPLIES 12

@GenXRailmedia wrote:

There are some good responses here.  Had I realized 4-5 years ago just how good an L really is, I would have just bought one of them in the first place.  I've been shooting with a DSLR since 2007 and learn more with every passing year.  Knowing what I know now, I would have just broke down and bought it.  Then again, if money were no object, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, and I would just buy the 4L (with IS) AND the 250. 

As far as sports shooting, I should have mentioned that sports wasn't the only thing I would be using a superzoom for.  I actually shoot trains and landscapes far more and really miss having IS for some of those types of shoots.  I shoot my daughter's tennis and soccer when in season and the ring USM on the 70-210 is pretty darn fast, especially since I switched to back button focus.  

I guess for the winter when I don't shoot much, I'll make do with the 70-210 and when tax time rolls around, I'll finally get smart and get the L.  

Nice shots with the 250, TTMartin, and thank you all for your opinions.

Yes, those are some nice shots he took.  Aren't they?  A 1-2 stop change in shutter speed, and he could have captured very different looking photos in regard to the motion blur. 

I like the idea that you have given it some thought, and will wait a while before you make a lens purchase.  It is always best not to rush into a big decision, even when we think we are not rushing into it, because those are the times when we are rushing into something.  I have one question that's been nagging at me, though.  You said this in your original post.

" I'm thinking it would nicely compliment my new 650D, have slightly more reach and better be supported than my current dinosaur 70-210 3.5-4.5 USM.  "

Did you actually buy a "new 650D" camera?  While it is possible that a vendor had a new one on a shelf somewhere, that camera was discontinued quite a whle ago.  It's been superseded by at least two newer models.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, when I said "new" I didn't specifically mean brand new.  I found one that was very lightly used (200 shutter count, in original box) in like brand-new condition.  I shudder to think what the shutter count is on my old 400D, and my daughter wanted to start learning DSLR photography so I gave it to her.  

To someone like me who is perpetually behind the times (5 year-old laptop, 3 year old cell phone, 4 year-old camera, 12 year-old automobile, etc) 4 years is pretty new!  🙂  

"I'll finally get smart and get the L."

Sounds like a plan!  Smiley Happy  Go for it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements