cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

55-250 IS STM Opinions Please

GenXRailmedia
Enthusiast

A few years back, I owned the IS II version of the 55-250, but was never completely satisfied with the IQ.  I loved the focal length versatility and thought about it often after replacing it (kind of like an ex-girlfriend, but I digress...)

Now I'm seeing that there is an IS STM version available and by averaging out all of the reviews that I've read, I'm impressed with what I'm reading.  The new version has 15 elements/12 groups as opposed to the old with 12/10. I realize that more elements don't always equate to higher quality, but it sounds like a marked improvement to me. 

As much as I would like to go with the 70-200 F/4L that the 250 STM is often compared to, it just isn't in the budget at the moment.  I'm thinking it would nicely compliment my new 650D, have slightly more reach and better be supported than my current dinosaur 70-210 3.5-4.5 USM.  

Should I give this lens another try?  Also, any opinions on whether STM AF is fast enough for shooting sports?  I love the ring USM on the above 210, but really miss the IS as well.  The price just can't be beat, either, averaging around $150.

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Buy the lens you really want, and you'll never be wanting buy another.  Do you think the EF-S 55-250 IS STM will be the last lens in that focal range that you'll buy for several years?

The image quality of an "L" lens surprises most people who upgrade from consumer lenses.  You begin to appreciate the saying that there is no substitute for good glass.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I know what gone is gone and done is done with but the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens is $300. You already bought one and got rid of it for whatever.  You know you were/are half way there to the cost of the real deal Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens?

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens is leap years better then the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens.  Not just IQ but everything.  IQ and build, etc. The biggest best thing is it is a constant aperture at f4.  If you could do with out IS that veraion is around $600.  A figure you are going to have invested if you buy another  EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.

Personally I would prefer a used EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens over a new EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.  But if the purchase of the EF-S 55-250mm lets you start taking pictures today and having to wait on a EF 70-200mm f/4L that only you can answer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The 55-250 IS STM is $130 at canon refurb store. The 70-200f/4L IS is $959; the non-IS version is $520.

The STM focusig system is not as fast as USM.

If you had no tele-zoom the 55-250 would be a great purchase; not the quality of an L lens, but almost 1/8 the cost of the IS version.

Since you have the 70-210 I would stick with that.  IMHO you would be spending $130 for almost no benefit. IS is of little/no value for sports shooting and you can crop the 210 a little to get the AOV of the 250mm lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@GenXRailmedia wrote:

A few years back, I owned the IS II version of the 55-250, but was never completely satisfied with the IQ.  I loved the focal length versatility and thought about it often after replacing it (kind of like an ex-girlfriend, but I digress...)

Now I'm seeing that there is an IS STM version available and by averaging out all of the reviews that I've read, I'm impressed with what I'm reading.  The new version has 15 elements/12 groups as opposed to the old with 12/10. I realize that more elements don't always equate to higher quality, but it sounds like a marked improvement to me. 

As much as I would like to go with the 70-200 F/4L that the 250 STM is often compared to, it just isn't in the budget at the moment.  I'm thinking it would nicely compliment my new 650D, have slightly more reach and better be supported than my current dinosaur 70-210 3.5-4.5 USM.  

Should I give this lens another try?  Also, any opinions on whether STM AF is fast enough for shooting sports?  I love the ring USM on the above 210, but really miss the IS as well.  The price just can't be beat, either, averaging around $150.

The STM AF is fast enough for most sports situations. The EF-S 55-250 IS STM is one of the best kept secrets out there. It should sell for 5 times what it does based on its performance. 

IMG_3677.jpg

Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 255mm, 1/3200, f/5.6, ISO 800

Photo by Kat Parker, the very first time out birding with a dSLR. 

@TTMartin wrote:

The STM AF is fast enough for most sports situations. The EF-S 55-250 IS STM is one of the best kept secrets out there. It should sell for 5 times what it does based on its performance. 

A00A3393.jpg

Canon EOS 7D Mk II, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 218mm, 1/640, f/5.6, ISO 125, race car moving towards the camera at speed coming out of turn one at Mid-Ohio.

note: right click on the photo above and choose open in a new tab, to see the uncompressed version of the photo.

" It should sell for 5 times what it does based on its performance. "   Smiley LOL

Is this a joke?  Surely you jest?  A single spec, a single photo, etc, does not define a lens.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" It should sell for 5 times what it does based on its performance. "   Smiley LOL

Is this a joke?  Surely you jest?  A single spec, a single photo, etc, does not define a lens.

Not a joke at all. The lens sells for about $125 refurbished from Canon. It has image quality on par with the EF 70-200 f/4L. For an APS-C camera in my opinion it is a superior lens. It has a larger zoom range. While upping the build quality from it's predecessor, it still is smaller and lighter than the EF 70-200 f/4L. While you don't need IS for high shutter speed photos, you're camera's AF system can still benefit from image stabilization when shooting sports. 

You've repeatedly stated you normally shoot full frame or a 1D Mk IV, so it is no wonder you wouldn't keep an EF-S lens. The question becomes why did you buy one to start with?

In my 7D Mk II kit I carry the EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, EF 100-400 L IS II, 1.4X TC III, and 580EX II. If I were to carry my 70-200 I would have to forgo the 580EX II. 

One specification doesn't make a lens, and what specifications that are important vary from person to person. Given equal image quality and larger zoom range, and more than adequate performance in other categories. I'll take the smaller and lighter lens. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The question becomes why did you buy one to start with?"

Simple! They are cheap. When you need many that is a driving force. Now that I don't need cheap, I don't buy them nor do I recommend them very often. It is a consumer throw away. Since repair is out of the question. It's nice you love yours but not for me.

EB

There are some good responses here.  Had I realized 4-5 years ago just how good an L really is, I would have just bought one of them in the first place.  I've been shooting with a DSLR since 2007 and learn more with every passing year.  Knowing what I know now, I would have just broke down and bought it.  Then again, if money were no object, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, and I would just buy the 4L (with IS) AND the 250. 

As far as sports shooting, I should have mentioned that sports wasn't the only thing I would be using a superzoom for.  I actually shoot trains and landscapes far more and really miss having IS for some of those types of shoots.  I shoot my daughter's tennis and soccer when in season and the ring USM on the 70-210 is pretty darn fast, especially since I switched to back button focus.  

I guess for the winter when I don't shoot much, I'll make do with the 70-210 and when tax time rolls around, I'll finally get smart and get the L.  

Nice shots with the 250, TTMartin, and thank you all for your opinions.

Announcements