cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500 mm lens

pokokarin
Apprentice

Is Canon going to be making a 500 mm lens like the new Nikon 500mm PF?  I have Nikon firends that are raving about the sharpness and light features of this new product.  I'm still carryng a heavy huge lens around with my 1DX2.

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

We have no idea. The closest is the EF 400 DO.

I suspect that any 500mm DO will be an RF mount.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is Canon going to be making a 500 mm lens like the new Nikon..."

I have to agree, there will not likely be any new EF lens made.   Just like FD, EF time has passed like it or not. I did not like it then and I don't like it now. The difference between now and back then is, I don't have to buy RF mount lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Nailed it!

Canon just released some DO 600 and 800(!) mm lenses for RF!

From Ken Rockwell:

"These two are the most innovative products announced today. Many of you, especially those of you who remember DSLRs whose finders would go dark and couldn't focus with slow lenses, may not realize how incredibly well the EOS-R system works with slow lenses and even stacked teleconverters.

These two lenses are tiny for their focal lengths. They use Fresnel lenses (a.k.a. DO, Diffractive Optics) and even collapse for storage! Canon thought out of the box and gave birders and others two long lenses that will work brilliantly on the EOS-R system that never could have been done on SLRs or DSLRs. Bravo, Canon!"

Whoopee super slow lenses. Smiley Indifferent

EB

Which doesn't matter on an R.

If you follow the link, KR had a 100-400 f/4.5 - f/5.6, an EF converter, a 2X *and* a 1.4X teleconverter, and focused easily at f/12.6 or so.

They will focus but they push the ISO higher and cannot provide the shallow DoF of the faster glass. 

It does fit the mirrorless concept of making everything lighter and less expensive.  It will be a very good lens for people who don't need the low light capabilities of faster glass and who will be happy to trade off cost and weight, others will continue to use EF L series prime glass and an adapter when fast glass is needed.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Is DOF ever an issue with an 800 mm telephoto?

"Is DOF ever an issue with an 800 mm telephoto?"

I have no idea as I have never used one.  But Canon is claiming these lens are great even with a 2x tel-con at f22. Probably OK if you live in a desert with major sunshine all day.  

However don't let me stop you from sending in your pre-order. Smiley Happy

EB

DoF can be with an 800 if you want to blur a close in background and I much prefer the in camera to Photoshop version. 

And unless you are shooting in excellent light, with an F11 you are getting into an area where ISO is likely to be higher than you wish when using shutter speed high enough to avoid subject motion blur of anything but a statue.  My 1DX III will take what I would call usable photos at 51,200 but I would much rather have it at half that ISO and even with its excellent ISO performance being able to shoot at a lower ISO with less amplification and resultant noise the better.  Going from 400 to 800 ISO doesn't bother me but given 12,800 vs 25,600 even with very good modern sensors you are still giving up a lot of quality. 

Canon will be able to sell many more of these slower glass long telephotos than they could the EF L versions because they will be far less expensive, large, and heavy.  This could be the emerging market strategy from Canon in trying to secure the leadership position in the market above the "good" consumer level but beneath the top end and that could be smart positioning for the future.  The lower end cameras are the ones most subject to being cannibalized by digital devices and the upper end market will become smaller volume but still important as a development bed and halo product area for the camera line.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements