cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

400mm compare

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This little test is not scientific it is simply what a real world person can expect with these choices. All hane held at approx. 20 feet with my 1D Mk II n.  That's right Mk II n.  Not everybody has a 20 or 30 mp camera!  I know the big Siggy S is not the best candidate for hand holdong but I find myself doing it most of the time.  All shots got lens correction in LR.  So here goes.

_K2N6750-Edit-Edit.jpg

Fantastic lens and it is a unique lens as nobody makes a competitor to it. Cost vs performance.  This not only a best buy but it is a buy now lens.  The replacement is likely going to has IS and a price tag to go with it.  Get one now. I had one and sold it for the ef 100-400.  Yes a mistake but for my purpose the zoom work well.  SInce, however, I have purchased another ef 400mm f5.6L.  It will not get sold!

Below is the ef 30mm f4L IS just as a possible second choice if you just have to have IS.

_K2N6754-Edit-Edit.jpg

Same ef 300mm with the 1.4x extender yeilding 420mm f5.6 with IS.

_K2N6751-Edit-Edit.jpg

Now the big guy. The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon set to 400mm.  Actually the 400mm mark on the lens turned out to be 410mm that was reported to the Mk II n.

_K2N6756-Edit-Edit.jpg

OK, wnat 100% crops?

combo.jpg

Remember this is really just snap shots of what these lenses provide and what you can expect.  Using them as you actually would.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority

Not sure if the slightly different framing is throwing me, but I do believe the 400 F/5.6 wins. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"I do believe the 400 F/5.6 wins."

It is close for sure and the bang for the buck it is the winner.  Upon close examination though, I believe the big Siggy has a slight edge. I do have the advantage of an unaltered web file to view, though.

The slightly different framing is do to the fact of differing focal lengthe. 400mm and 300mm for the Canons. 420mm for the 300 with the converter.  And the Siggy said 400mm on the zoom ring but the camera reported it as 410mm.

It is, however, exactly what you can expect.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements