cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

28-135mm EF vs. 55-250mm EF-S, please help me understand crop factor.

klavender
Contributor

Sorry for the newbie question but I've searched Google and couldn't really understand this. I have a 40D with a 28-135mm EF lens. I understand this is a APS-C camera and since the lens is an EF that the effective zoom is 44-216mm. I would like to get more zoom but the EF-S telephoto is 55-250mm. 250mm doesn't seem like much more that 216mm and I'm not sure it's worth it. I've also looked at the EF 70-300mm which would be 112-480mm. It's twice as much money and would think I would want it slightly wider at the low end.

Also, if I go with the EF-S 55-250 would the STM be worth it over the standard? I want a quick focus as this will be used mainly for wildlife. How does the standard and STM compare to the USM of my current lens?

71 REPLIES 71

I'm 99% sure I have it set on One Shot and 100% sure I only have the center AF point active. But it is something I will double check tonight. Thank you!

@klavender wrote:
I'm 99% sure I have it set on One Shot and 100% sure I only have the center AF point active. But it is something I will double check tonight. Thank you!

Good.  The only purpose that lens Image Stablization serves when your camera is on a tripod is to put an extra drain on your battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had the camera set on AI Focus. Changed it to One Shot, no change. Turned off IS, success! It doesn't move with IS off. Even with it on, it's only a slight shift. Just very weird. Haha.

klavender
Contributor
Great information. Thanks everybody. I guess I'll live with it and turn IS off when on the tripod.

" I guess I'll live with it and turn IS off when on the tripod."

Your lens is probably on the outside limit of acceptable.  I would return it and re-order another one.  Like I said that IS issue is likely the reason the lens wound up in the refurb store.  The first purchaser did not like it and returned it.  I have never had a Canon lens jump the focus like yours is but I have had and seen many third party lenses do that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Your lens is probably on the outside limit of acceptable.  I would return it and re-order another one.  Like I said that IS issue is likely the reason the lens wound up in the refurb store.  The first purchaser did not like it and returned it.  I have never had a Canon lens jump the focus like yours is but I have had and seen many third party lenses do that. 

I dunno, Ernie. If you haven't done so already, go to the "General Camera Discussion" board and read the articles that Waddizzle unearthed overnight about Canon's IS systems. To me they seem to suggest that the behavior of the OP's lens is normal.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I wouldn't call myself a birder so I don't know how this thread turned into that. More along the lines of general wildlife/nature scenery. Besides the 55-250mm is really a 88-400mm lens on my crop camera. I'm trying to do what I can on a limited budget. I can't justify spending $1,000 on a lens for a sometimes hobby. I'm going to call Canon about this lens and see what they say. Like I've mentioned before about the IS shift, it's not a big deal. I just found it odd.

@klavender wrote:

I wouldn't call myself a birder so I don't know how this thread turned into that. More along the lines of general wildlife/nature scenery. Besides the 55-250mm is really a 88-400mm lens on my crop camera. I'm trying to do what I can on a limited budget. I can't justify spending $1,000 on a lens for a sometimes hobby. I'm going to call Canon about this lens and see what they say. Like I've mentioned before about the IS shift, it's not a big deal. I just found it odd.

Exactly, there are some people on this forum who seem to think the only solution to photography is to throw money at it. You most certainly can get some great bird and wildlife shots with an EF-S 55-250 IS STM.

The first key to great wildlife shots is to have a camera with you, and getting out in nature. And the EF-S 55-250 IS STM is a great lens to make that happen. Carrying around a 6+lb lens, and other gear gets old. And it also limits your stelthyness, and ability to react quickly. And it certainly makes the camera the focus of the hike rather than enjoying the nature around you. For some people that's ok, and for others it's not. 

Oh, and not wanting to use IS on a tripod is perfectly normal.

A few under 250mm from this year.

IMG_3341.jpg

195mm 

A00A1350-2.jpg

211mm

IMG_3387.jpg

240mm

A00A1910.jpg

240mmA00A1715.jpg

240mm

A00A1610.jpg

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I dunno, Ernie. If you haven't done so already, go to the "General Camera Discussion" board and read the articles that Waddizzle unearthed overnight about Canon's IS systems. To me they seem to suggest that the behavior of the OP's lens is normal.

It is normal behavior for that lens.  I own one, and bought another for my son to use with his T3i when he and his friends rented a weekend cabin on a lake, deep in the Iowa backwoods somewhere.

The articles describe exactly what the OP has observed, and what I have also observed with the lens..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements