cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24mm 1.4 vs. 35mm 1.4 CROP

sarahr_7
Enthusiast

Hi!

So I need some on advice between the 24mm 1.4 and the 35mm 1.4. I have a Canon 70d (1.6 crop) and a 50mm 1.8. I love my nifty fifty, however, I always find myself stepping back. I'd like to get a wider lens that still has portrait capabilities (and maybe be used as a walk around as well). I know the 35mm is THE wide angle portrait for full frame but what about for crop? Will it be too long to even be considered wide? Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

"...but remember: a 55mm lens on a crop-frame camera is about like an 65mm lens on a FF, ..."

Sarah,

An also remember it will be even closer to a 88mm lens on a FF camera.  Smiley Happy

Besides that he is right the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is by far the better choice for you. Remember it has all the focal lengths you are considering.

Yeah, I meant to say 85, not 65. (Specifically 88 on a Canon, but Canon's version of the crop factor is slightly larger than the APS-C standard.) It's what I get for posting in the small hours of the morning after staying up to watch the Cubs end their curse.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

B from B,

Well you know my aversion to the whole crop factor thing in the first place.  It is a meaningless somewhat ridiculous concept.  Who cares what a lens would look like on another format.  Some people have never used most of them!

Much like the people that recommend gear they themselves have never used. Just because they can read a review on the ole inner net.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If a 17-55 will work for both a walkaround and portrait then I might start looking into that instead!

sarah,

Keep in mind the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens has all the focal lengths you asked about.  It is a WA, it is a normal and it is a portrait.  All in one and is a pretty darn good all purpose walk-around lens.  It is reasonably fast at f2.8 and best of all it is a constant f2.8.  Not a variable.  No other lens you can buy or even think of meets all this any better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have both of the lenses you're asking about because they are f 1.4 not because they might be good lenses for portraits. I have to agree with the recommendation of the zoom for now because it will be far more versatile PLUS prove exactly what range you actually settle on as the "right" length for your style of photo.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@sarahr_7 wrote:

Hi!

So I need some on advice between the 24mm 1.4 and the 35mm 1.4. I have a Canon 70d (1.6 crop) and a 50mm 1.8. I love my nifty fifty, however, I always find myself stepping back. I'd like to get a wider lens that still has portrait capabilities (and maybe be used as a walk around as well). I know the 35mm is THE wide angle portrait for full frame but what about for crop? Will it be too long to even be considered wide? Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Sounds to me like you're looking for the one lens that does it all: both wide angle shots and bust-style portraits.  Not unless you use a zoom with an unusually wide range [ something like 10-100mm for APS-C mount [, you're going to be out of luck. 

Such a lens doesn't exist.  You're asking for two lenses in one.  You want a wide angle walk around lens.  And, you want an ideal portrait lens.  And, you want them for an APS-C camera body.  I'd suggest that you stop looking for one lens, to do the job of two lenses.

If you want a wide zoom, then I would suggest the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, which is equivalent to a 16-35mm on a full frame.  As for as portrait zoom goes, I think your 50mm is enough to "get by" for indoor shots, and that one of Canon's "L" series 70-200mm lenses would be good for outdoor shots. 

The previously mentioned EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is a good walk around lens, too.  It comes pretty close to being your multi-purpose, "all-in-one" lens that you have envisioned.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

sarahr_7
Enthusiast

Oops I might have accidentally clicked accept as soloution, but thank y'all for the help so far! I'll start looking into a 17-55 for my canon. 

Announcements