cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-70mm f2.8 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.

jakrelphotos
Apprentice

I am getting the following error with my Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens mounted on 2 different cameras. 

"Err 1 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts"

Other lenses work fine on the 2 cameras so the problem is with the 24-70mm lens. I've tried cleaning the contacts on the lens but to no avail.

I don't get the error and am able to take shots when I set the aperture to 2.8. The error occurs with all other aperture settings. Auto focus seems to work ok (contacts are ok?) so it appears that the lens aperture blades may be stuck.

Any suggestions on how to get the other aperture settings to work?

Thanks  

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum jakrelphotos.

Ribbon cable failure. Needs to be repaired.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Canon-24-70mm-f2-8-ii-flex-cable-ribbon-problem-again/td-p...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the info...  I have the older 24-70mm lens (not II).  Does the older lens also have a ribbon cable problem?

My understanding is yes.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Batteristafoto
Contributor

Did the ribbon repair solve the problem? I am in Brazil on a photo expedition and this couldnt have happened to me at a worse time! Really angry with canon at the mo. How much did it cost to get it fixed? Thank you for writing this

Greetings Batteristafoto,

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing a lens error issue with your EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens and we would have recommended to send the unit in for repair. Unfortunately, this lens model has reached the end of its service life to where our Canon USA repair facility no longer performs repairs on it. Since you are n Brazil, you may check to see if there is a facility in your area that may be able to repair the lens.

No there is not! And you guys should repair this at NO CHARGE! It is absolutely NOT correct that an 1800 dollar piece of gear has faulty manufacturing and canon expects US to pay for repair!!! I will not be silent about this either since it cost a lot of money to get to my location, organize this trip and work to have this total lack of respect from Canon. Infuriating!! I would appreciate it if you actually DID something to help this situation instead of telling me things I already know

Hello,

As we are Canon USA, we are only able to provide assistance to customers in the United States. We recommend following up with our friends in your region for assistance. You can find their website here.

i live in NY and purchased the lens there! I brought it here to work! Not to be ripped off in repair charges by your people in Brazil! You guys need to step up and fix this incredibly ridiculous situation! 

If you're based in the United States, we recommend registering your gear with Canon USA.  When you do that, you'll get access to all of your support options.  Hope this helps!

Announcements