Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

24-70mm f2.8 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.

I am getting the following error with my Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens mounted on 2 different cameras. 

"Err 1 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts"

Other lenses work fine on the 2 cameras so the problem is with the 24-70mm lens. I've tried cleaning the contacts on the lens but to no avail.

I don't get the error and am able to take shots when I set the aperture to 2.8. The error occurs with all other aperture settings. Auto focus seems to work ok (contacts are ok?) so it appears that the lens aperture blades may be stuck.

Any suggestions on how to get the other aperture settings to work?

Thanks  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: 24-70mm f2.8 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.

Welcome to the forum jakrelphotos.

Ribbon cable failure. Needs to be repaired.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Canon-24-70mm-f2-8-ii-flex-cable-ribbon-problem-again/td-p...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: 24-70mm f2.8 - Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.

Thanks for the info...  I have the older 24-70mm lens (not II).  Does the older lens also have a ribbon cable problem?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My understanding is yes.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic