cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-105mm EF IS

tamernagy
Apprentice
Using canon T5i with 18-135mm STM as all purpose travel lens. Finally decided to upgrade to an L series lens 24-105mm. Do I still need to keep my 18-135mm or sell it and use the new lens as all purpose lens
Also is the upgrade worth the money ??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I started with an 18-135 (pre STM version) and a 30D and was quite satisfied, until it came to low-light indoor photography, which turns out to be about 90% of my shooting.  The 18-135 was just too slow and required an external flash most of the time.  But as an all-around zoom, I loved it!  After upgrading to a 60D, its slow speed was a major hinderance, so I replaced it with the 24-105L, knowing I'd one day go to full frame.  But 24 (=38mm lens angle of view on the 60D) wasn't wide enough for smaller rooms at church.  So I sprang for a 16-35 f2.8L ii for those smaller spaces.

I still miss the zoom range of the 18-135.  Surprisingly, since upgrading to full frame about a year ago, the 16-35 sits mostly unused as the 24-105 is 'wide enough' and mostly 'long enough', too.  My flash still sees some action as well, but not as often since going to the 5D3.   

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

You are correct, sir. Sorry, got my fingers typing before my brain was turned on!

The f-ratio is fixed. There that is better. It doesn't change, get slower, as you zoom.

The 17-40mm f4 does keep it's shape, length, as it zooms and I was thinking of it earlier.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You are correct, sir. Sorry, got my fingers typing before my brain was turned on!

The f-ratio is fixed. There that is better. It doesn't change, get slower, as you zoom.

The 17-40mm f4 does keep it's shape, length, as it zooms and I was thinking of it earlier.

These lenses also don't extend as they focus which some of the other lenses do. 

Technically, the 17-40 does extend and contract as it zooms it just does it inside the filter thread. So if you've got a filter on it looks like it's internal movement. The front element, however, does move. A nitpicky distinction to be sure.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/
Announcements