cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-105 Vs 24-70 Mk ii

boristhemoggy
Enthusiast

I've been looking at the 24-70 2.8 mk ii but it's a shed load of money. Is it really that much difference to a 24-105? I mean in the real world, would you really notice any improvement of image quality?

30 REPLIES 30

BTW to carry this a little farther the diffraction limit of such a sensor (5Ds or 7D Mk II) is going to be approx f6.3 vs f10+ for the 5D Mk III or my 1Ds Mk III.

This is where diffraction begins to visibly affect the image sharpness.  As the sensor pixel density increases I.E. smaller pixel, the narrowest aperture that can be used to get perfectly sharp images. It is the point where IQ begins to be compromised.

Of course all this is paper talk and what you see in actual use may be somewhat different.  Or it may not be a factor at all.  But the fact remains it is there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I see the new 1Dx II as just the opposite, as being optimized for taking action shots of moving subjects."

There is no doubt the 1Dx Mk II remains the speed king but it is still a 'general' use camera.  Putting it in to a niche already is probably premature.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I see the new 1Dx II as just the opposite, as being optimized for taking action shots of moving subjects."

There is no doubt the 1Dx Mk II remains the speed king but it is still a 'general' use camera.  Putting it in to a niche already is probably premature.

No niche.  I think every Canon body is a "general use" camera. 

It's just that I see each of the different full-frame bodies as having a different set of design priorities and compromises.  As you say, the 1Dx Mk II is the speed king.  I think we said the pretty much same thing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have already run across some guys that claim the 1Dx Mk II's strong suit is as a video camera.  Some say it is a sports camera only.  It isn't even in full use yet.  I am going to wait and see what shakes out.

EB

The 1Dx Mk II has one major strike against it for use as a video camera.  While it can record 4K video, it cannot output 4K on the HDMI port to an external recorder, something which some competing models can do. 

External recording removes the memory limitations of memory card when recording high frame rates at 4K.  Each second of 4K video is comprised of as many as 60 8MP still images, which works out to roughly 500 MBytes/sec.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You and the others that have mentioned this to me are wasting your time.  I have no interest in video.  I don't care if it did any video at all.  Let alone whatever 4k is.

EB

I wish DSLR's had the option of NOT having video to make them cheaper. If I wanted to video I'd use a video camera.
Anyway, I finally decided to buy the Tamron 24-70 2.8 lens.
It beats the Canon 24-105 and the Canon 24-70 2.8 MKi.
I'll find out what sort of performer it is at the weekend at a wedding.

"I wish DSLR's had the option of NOT having video to make them cheaper."

I hear ya but it wouldn't make them much cheaper as video is a by-product of Live View.  Some little extra circuitry is about it.

EB

LensRentals is pretty reasonable. You can rent both and check them out - you can even buy the one are renting if you are especially pleased.

Great idea, is that in the US? I'm in UK and sadly not found a rental place that has both lenses. I'll have to devote some time to this methinks.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements