cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24-105 Vs 24-70 Mk ii

boristhemoggy
Enthusiast

I've been looking at the 24-70 2.8 mk ii but it's a shed load of money. Is it really that much difference to a 24-105? I mean in the real world, would you really notice any improvement of image quality?

30 REPLIES 30

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I mean in the real world, would you really notice any improvement of image quality?"

Yes, I would.  It is the best lens made.  Period.  However, that is me.  It may not be that big of a deal to you.  That is something you will have to decide.  I have had the Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM, the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (version one) and the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM II.  Believe me this is Canon's best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

I just bought the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, after one outing I will never regret that purchase, it was recommended to me from the folks on this forum and I cannot thank them enough.

This is one of my first shots, it can only get better...

https://500px.com/photo/141271173/ds-by-paul-herold?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=9585591

Hmmm bad example tbh. That should be razor sharp with that lens/cam combination and it doesn't look sharp at all. Must be the compression of 500px

"...  it doesn't look sharp at all ..."

Well whether it is or it isn't, you can rest assured no other lens made would have done better!

EB

The reason I ask is that the Tamron is rated better than the Canon in some circles. So my options are:

1 stick with the 24-105

2 get the 24-70

3 Get the Tamron

"The reason I ask is that the Tamron is rated better than the Canon in some circles."

I would avoid those "circles" like the plague. Those people are nuts beyond the pale.

But down to the nitty gritty.

1 stick with the 24-105

2 get the 24-70

3 Get the Tamron

The correct order is 

1 ef 24-70 f2.8L II

2 Tamron 24-70mm f2.8

3 ef 24-105mm f4L IS

But in the real world and the world of Facebook all are pretty darn good.  What are your goals for these lenses?

EB

I'd hardly say they were nuts, they simply expressed an opinion, just like you did?

"... they simply expressed an opinion ..."

Perhaps so!  But it doesn't make it true or a fact.  The fact remains the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II is the best lens made in its class.  If any lens is in second place it would be the Nikkor model.  

EB

No offence but your opinion isn't fact either.
Announcements