cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55mm lense trouble

NewbieBird
Apprentice

I have a Canon Eos Rebel T6 that I literally just got today. I'm trying tofigure it all out and admitelly should have read the instructions first. So what I did was put my 18-55mm lense on, correctly I might add. I took a few shots that way just to get a feel for it. I then decided to put the high defintion angle lens on top of the 18-55mm. It defintely widened the shot. I wanted to see the difference between the two so I took it off and now my 18-55mm lense won't focus. I can't take a shoot with it at all in AF setting. If I changed it to manual I can get the picture to snap but it's blurry. In both settings, the picture is blurry and, the best way to put this is, it looks like I can see the roundness of the lense on the display screen (a big black circle). What did I do? How do I fix this?

6 REPLIES 6

@NewbieBird wrote:

I have a Canon Eos Rebel T6 that I literally just got today. I'm trying tofigure it all out and admitelly should have read the instructions first. So what I did was put my 18-55mm lense on, correctly I might add. I took a few shots that way just to get a feel for it. I then decided to put the high defintion angle lens on top of the 18-55mm. It defintely widened the shot. I wanted to see the difference between the two so I took it off and now my 18-55mm lense won't focus. I can't take a shoot with it at all in AF setting. If I changed it to manual I can get the picture to snap but it's blurry. In both settings, the picture is blurry and, the best way to put this is, it looks like I can see the roundness of the lense on the display screen (a big black circle). What did I do? How do I fix this?

Is it the new STM version of the 18-55? If not, what you probably did was try to focus it manually while it was set to AF. You may have destroyed the lens, but some people have managed to fix their lenses in such cases by manually unjamming the AF motor. The procedure is not for the faint-hearted, but what have you got to lose? It's described in several threads in this forum.

You might as well throw away the add-on wide-angle "lens" if it's the type that screws into the front of your normal lens.. Such "lenses" are invariably junk. If you need a wide-angle lens, buy a real one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

NewbieBird
Apprentice
I figured out the problem. It's pretty embarrassing to admit. I, uh, left a piece of the wide angle lens on the camera so it wasn't focusing properly. I'm gonna agree with you on it being cheaply made.

NewbieBird
Apprentice
Why do you call them invariably"junk"? Still learning here. Thanks for the help by the way.

@NewbieBird wrote:
Why do you call them invariably"junk"? Still learning here. Thanks for the help by the way.

But a real wide angle lens, like the EF-S 10-18mm, and you will understand why screw-on lenses are considered “junk”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@NewbieBird wrote:

Most lenses that screw on to the front of actual dSLR lenses are junk. dSLRs are designed to have interchangeable lenses, so you will use a lens that is designed to be wideangle or telephoto, not something that screws on the front of the existing lens.

Your lens is not designed to have a heavy extra lens screwed on to it, continued use of that add on lens can permanently damage your lens. 

"Most  All lenses that screw on to the front of actual dSLR lenses are junk."

... and ...

"Your lens is not designed to have a heavy extra lens screwed on to it...."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements