cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55 zoom lens repair

Jhstarkey1
Contributor

Recently I was changing the lens. When I removed the auto focus 18-55 zoom lens a part fell out of the lens. It is metal and has copper contacts on it. I'm not sure where it belongs or why it fell out. Anyone had a similar problem?

25 REPLIES 25

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Little short on info there.  Can you explain exactly what part 'fell' off with 'coppr contacts'?  Perhaps a picture?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Will post photo later. I was just learning to post on the site.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The skilled labor to repair a lens is fairly expensive ... so depending on the value of the lens, the labor cost can over-take the replacement cost.  

This tends to happen with the lower cost lenses... e.g. the EF 50mm f/1.8 (which is only about $120 brand-new) or the EF-S 18-55 (roughly $200 brand new) where it doesn't take too many hours of labor before it's just not worth repairing.

If you have the non-STM version of the EF-S 18-55 then there are other motivating reasons where it's probably a better idea to "replace" rather than "repair".

The new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM has the new extremely quiet STM focusing motors... but it also has other advantages

• Significantly quieter focusing (nearly silent)
  • Faster focusing
  • Front element doesn't rotate when focusing (a huge advantage when you use a polarizing filter)
  • Noticeably improved optics - sharper all the way around
  • Better aperture blades and 7 blades instead of 6 
  • Shorter minimum-focus distance.
  • A better lens hood (petal style -- if you use a hood)
  • Supports full-time manual override during auto-focus (no risk of damage if you try to focus when camera tries to focus.)
  • And other advantages in terms of build quality, focus & zoom rings, etc.

The "STM" version is $50 more than the non-STM version... but the advantages are so numerous that it's worth every penny of the $50 additional cost.  

OR... you could consider a completely different lens such as one of the 18-135mm versions, or 17-85mm ... or even the 17-55mm f/2.8 (VERY nice and collects considerably more light).

If budgets are tight... check to see if anything is available in Canon's "refurbished" section of their online store.  Those tend to be the best prices you get and though they are technically refurbs... they're generally indistinguishable from "new" and they even come with the same warranty as a "new" lens.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

That is probably a better idea (replace instead of repair). Not happy that a part falls out when changing a lens.

here is the part that fell out.IMG_3700.JPGIMG_3701.JPGIMG_3702.JPG

Whatever it is, it looks important.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 wrote:

Whatever it is, it looks important.

If it fell out of the lens, it must have left quite a hole. Can you tell how it was originally fastened? It looks as though it may have something to do with the electrical connection, in which case maybe it just needs a replacement screw or something.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If something like that "fell out" of my 18-55mm lens, then yeah, it is time to buy a new lens.  Judging from the looks of it, several more pieces probably "fell out" before that thing made its' appearance.  It is amazing the lens is still "in one piece."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle wrote:

If something like that "fell out" of my 18-55mm lens, then yeah, it is time to buy a new lens.  Judging from the looks of it, several more pieces probably "fell out" before that thing made its' appearance.  It is amazing the lens is still "in one piece."

If Waddizzle's guess is correct, it would be a good idea to try to verify that none of the pieces (and/or the screw(s) that once held them in) are lurking in the camera, waiting to do some sort of damage.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements