cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17-40 1:4 L Autofocus

winminn
Contributor

Lens is sometimes very slow to autofocus and sometimes does not focus at all.  Any suggestions what could be wrong?

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

How much light?

Bright light with 7D Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Lens is sometimes very slow to autofocus and sometimes does not focus at all.'

A better question is, has it always been that way?  Or, has it just developed that issue?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Has it always been slow and sometimes nonreponsive?  NO.

What is the subject? Does it have suffiecient contrast? Are you in One Shot mode? What happens if you arfe in A+ Green Square? Is it just this lens?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have found that when the autofocus does not activate, it can help to point at something close at hand.  That sometimes helps, not always. If it "wakes up" from that act, then it seems to be okay.  However, it's still slowl

@winminn wrote:

I have found that when the autofocus does not activate, it can help to point at something close at hand.  That sometimes helps, not always. If it "wakes up" from that act, then it seems to be okay.  However, it's still slowl

Just this lens, huh.  Some lenses do not transition well from focusing at near infinity, to focusing at near the MFD.  Your remark about “wakes up” is what brings this to mind.  Sometimes your subject can be the problem, like focusing on a bird sitting on a branch, hidden among other branches and leaves.

While the lens is what focuses, the camera body is what controls the shows.  Sometimes the combination of focusing mode, AF point selection, and other settings can degrade performance.  

You will get the fastest AF performance One Shot mode, which is what the Green [A] mode uses.  One Shot mode gives you a focus lock confirmation beep, while AI Servo does not.  

So, I ask what focus mode are you using?  Which AF point(s) are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Is it just this lens?"

This is the next question.  In order to analyze this we need to go in a specific order.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Please suggest the specific order that I should undertake, per your suggestion.  Thank you.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements