cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16mm-35mm f/2.8L mark II problem

aox
Apprentice

Hi,

I've had a 16-35L parked on my 6Dm1 for eight years. It's an incredible lens that has never failed me and I take care of my gear despite its proven durability. I've taken hundreds of thousands of frames with this lens all over the world in all conditions (besides severe cold). The contact pins are IMO pristine:

https://imgur.com/U6Q31hp

They are not bent and there is absolutely no gunk or goo on any of them. I bought a R5 this week and keep getting the Eror 01 notification. I have both the Canon EF-R mount and a Viltrox 3rd party EF-R mount. Regardless of the mount, I still get the error on both of them, and even before I turn the camera on, the motor in the lens is going nuts once I screw it onto the mount. My other five lenses work perfectly with both mounts on the R5. Sometimes after using a different lens for a while, I can sneak the 16-35 onto the R5 and it will work for a short undetermined time before it goes back to Eror 01 and the motor begins going nuts again (for the brief time it works on the R5, it works perfectly). I placed the 16-35 back onto my 6D and a 60D, and it works just fine with no issues on both bodies. I have certainly used a wet dry cloth and rubbed down the pins. Why is my new R5 rejecting this lens?

I've never had lens problems so I am not sure what to do here or if there is some trick I am missing in my Google search. Do I need to get this serviced? I assume there is a decent place in NYC so I don't have to mail this in? Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks for your help or advice in advance. 

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Call Canon. The support staff has access to a *lot* of canon hardware and might be able to try to recreate your issue in real time.

1 (800) 652-2666

Have you tried it with another lens?

Yes, my other five lenses work just fine on the R5. And the 16-35 works just fine on a 6Dm1 and 60D. Thanks for the number.

"I've had a 16-35L parked on my 6Dm1 for eight years."

This is one of those rare to never working activities of cleaning the lens and camera contacts might work. Get a qtip and some alcohol and clean the contacts. The act of mounting and removing a lens is usually sufficient to keep the contacts clean.  If you never or rarely do that, you may need to clean them yourself. Won't hurt anyways.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

aox
Apprentice

Update: I called the number listed above and actually got a person on the phone. He said that I needed to ship my lens, the RF mount, and my new R5 back to Canon and let them diagnosis it and maybe they could repair it. 

I am going to guess that the lens needs a firwmare update.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I am going to guess that the lens needs a firwmare update.

Was thinking the same myself given that it works everywhere else.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements