cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1300D and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II

frensco
Contributor

Hi,

I am a newbie in DSLR, I am planning to purchase a len 70-200mm, which has the IS function, I would like to know, if it is using with 1300D, is the IS function still available?

thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My friend,

"Don't presume that means it is best for everyone."

Goes both ways doesn't it.  Smiley Happy   You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I respect that and I know not everyone agrees with mine.  Please show the same courtesy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

Then again, we could look down our noses at some guy who scraped the money together for a 1DX and the only lens he has to shoot with is a 50 f/1.4. "It takes all kinds." Right? Gear snobbery is what that is.
5D Mark III, Tamron SP 15-30 DI VC, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 135 f/2L, Rising standard pinhole, EF 2X III, ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT x7, Flashpoint Streaklight 360ws

frensco
Contributor
Thank you, it is very useful information

frensco
Contributor
Guys, thank you for providing very useful information to me, I learnt a lot from brothers, everyone may have their own opinion, I think, what is the best, it will have different answers 😀

Have a wonderful day my friend. I hope you find what you think you need. Happy to know you.

5D Mark III, Tamron SP 15-30 DI VC, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 135 f/2L, Rising standard pinhole, EF 2X III, ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT x7, Flashpoint Streaklight 360ws

Dbenson
Contributor
From the parrying going on about I have learned that an upgrade to a 70-200L wil improve the quality of results but the full potential of the lens may not be realized without the advantages a better body can bring.

Would the 5D be solid choice for body upgrade from T-5 I currently in use - with the lens upgrade mentioned I am planning to make ?

@Dbenson wrote:
From the parrying going on about I have learned that an upgrade to a 70-200L wil improve the quality of results but the full potential of the lens may not be realized without the advantages a better body can bring.

Would the 5D be solid choice for body upgrade from T-5 I currently in use - with the lens upgrade mentioned I am planning to make ?

It Depends on what you mean by "5D". The original 5D was a fine camera in its day but is archaic by today's standards. The Mark II is still a decent camera. The Mark III is a really fine camera that's still being sold new. The Mark IV is starting to look like one of the best ever. Take your choice. A Mark II in excellent condition might be a good buy for you. A refurb Mark III would be better. Etc.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree with Bob from Boston, avoid the 5D.  Any of the other models are fine and get better as the Mk # gets higher.

I doubt Canon is still making Mk III's and will be gone as stock sells out so if it is the model you want, you might want to jump now.

EB

@Dbenson wrote:

You would be correct in that observation, that the bottom of the line DSLR would not realize the full potential of many professional grade, "L" Series lenses.  [EDIT] But, not all of the "L" lenses, like a wide angle "L" zoom.

Disabling the AF at f/8 aperture, and smaller, is done in firmware, mainly. because the less expensive bodies have AF sensors that are not able to give consistently sharp focus with a lens with a f/8 minimum aperture.  This is a rule of thumb, one designed to be broken quite often.  More on that later.  

At the opposite end of the aperture scale, when you have lenses that are f/2.8, or better, at all focal lengths, these lenses are allowing more light to enter the camera body, and the elite AF sensors take advantage of the extra data.  Think of it as the opposite of not being able to focus well in low light.  The wide apertures let the camera focus even better with more light.

But, these rules are made to be broken.  Certain combinations of high performance lenses and camera bodies have firmware that allow them to break the f/8 limitation, but only when the lenses are used with certain Canon extenders.

--------------------------------------------------

Would the 5D be a good upgrade over the T5?  Yes, it would, once upon a time.  Is it a good idea, more than likely not.  Canon is no longer servicing the 5D, as I understand it.  Any used camera body that is no longer being serviced by Canon is probably a camera that should be bought to sit on a shelf, not for everyday use.  I suggest that you save up for an up-to-date camera body, if you want a better camera body.  Your images will never be better than the lenses that you uss, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Any used camera body that is no longer being serviced by Canon is probably a camera that should be bought to sit on a shelf, not for everyday use."

Lots of shops still service the 5D.   They will as long as they can get parts.  The 5D is a nice camera.

I have still received service on my 1D. I would guess the more consumer models (Rebels) will go out of service fairly quickly but the more pro models can be viable for a long time.

EB
Announcements