cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM + EXT 1.4 III

Markeran
Contributor

Greetings,

The use of the extender 1.4 with my 100-400mm requires that I micro-adjust the setting in order to get tack-sharp pictures.

Is this micro-adjustment taking into account the "whole" system (extender+lens) in such a way that when I use my 100-400mm without the extender the camera will not take into account the micro-adjustment?

Thank you for your comments!

Best Regards

Mark

6 REPLIES 6

@Markeran wrote:

Greetings,

The use of the extender 1.4 with my 100-400mm requires that I micro-adjust the setting in order to get tack-sharp pictures.

Is this micro-adjustment taking into account the "whole" system (extender+lens) in such a way that when I use my 100-400mm without the extender the camera will not take into account the micro-adjustment?

Best Regards

Mark

I suspect that the answer is yes, but it should be easy to test. Do the microadjustment with and without the extender, being careful to set different values for the two configurations. Then when you mount the lens both ways, those different values should be displayed in the settings.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Markeran wrote:

Greetings,

Best Regards

Mark

I suspect that the answer is yes, but it should be easy to test. Do the microadjustment with and without the extender, being careful to set different values for the two configurations. Then when you mount the lens both ways, those different values should be displayed in the settings.

It should be even easier to test than that.  Just look at th EXIF data, on what lens was used.  It should report both the lens and the extender.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Markeran wrote:

Greetings,

Best Regards

Mark

It should be even easier to test than that.  Just look at th EXIF data, on what lens was used.  It should report both the lens and the extender.

It will; but if you do what I suggested, you don't even need to take a picture. Just mount the lens and look at the AFMA setting in the camera's menu.

IOW: Mount the lens and set an AFMA value. Then add the extender and set a different AFMA value. Then mount the lens again without the extender. If the AFMA setting reverts to its original value, then the AFMA mechanism is treating the lens with and without the extender separately.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for your replies : will test and report 🙂

All the Best - Mark

http://m.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/articles/AF_MicroAdjustGuide_desktop.pdf

2017-08-09.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John

This is great! Many thanks!

Mark