cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100-400 mk2 vs sigma 150-600

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hi all been thinking about the sigmas 150-600 both s and c vs 100-400 mk2 any comments the sigmas are cheaper and have much longer reach.

sigma c 150-600 £750

sigma s  150-600 £1200

Canon 100-400 mk2 £1400-1700

The sigma c seems a bargin dont it?

47 REPLIES 47

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

Hi all been thinking about the sigmas 150-600 both s and c vs 100-400 mk2 any comments the sigmas are cheaper and have much longer reach.

sigma c 150-600 £750

sigma s  150-600 £1200

Canon 100-400 mk2 £1400-1700

The sigma c seems a bargin dont it?

There's an old saying that you get what you pay for and it's true.

The Sigma 150-600 C just isn't in the same league as the Canon 100-400 IS II, and the Sigma 150-600 S is just too darn heavy.

Oh, and don't forget to add the cost of the calibration dock to the Sigma's price because you're going to need it.

And before you think I'm a Canon L lens snob, I have a lot of Sigma lenses, the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 IS, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8, Sigma 150-500 OS. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I, 100% disagree with Mr Martin, not surprising though.  I own these lenses.  I use these lenses.  The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens is my go to super tele.  I am deciding whether to sell the the "C" version because I will not use it much, at all, anymore.  I also own the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens for Canon super zoom.  It will probably go up on the auction block too.  The truth be know, there isn't a great deal of difference between any of thes in terms of IQ.

You could be or will be happy with any of them.  But be warned the "S" version is very heavy.  You will need a tripod or at least a monopod fof best results.  It is built like a Sherman tank.  Every bit as good as any "L" lens.  You should get the dock because Sigma offers upgraded software to keep up with the current cameras.  Otherwise I have never touched either of my Siggy's.

There is one point you must consider.  If you need 600mm, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens will not do it. If you don't need 600mm, it is an outstanding lens, too.

As I mentioned above the "S" is heavy but I routinely hand hold it.  The shot below is hand held and it was very cold.

_52D2063.jpg

_52D2063.jpg

Near 100% crop.  Remember this was hand held.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I, 100% disagree with Mr Martin, not surprising though.  I own these lenses.  I use these lenses.  The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens is my go to super tele.  I am deciding whether to sell the the "C" version because I will not use it much, at all, anymore.  I also own the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens for Canon super zoom.  It will probably go up on the auction block too.  The truth be know, there isn't a great deal of difference between any of thes in terms of IQ.

You could be or will be happy with any of them.  But be warned the "S" version is very heavy.  You will need a tripod or at least a monopod fof best results.  It is built like a Sherman tank.  Every bit as good as any "L" lens.  You should get the dock because Sigma offers upgraded software to keep up with the current cameras.  Otherwise I have never touched either of my Siggy's.

There is one point you must consider.  If you need 600mm, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens will not do it. If you don't need 600mm, it is an outstanding lens, too.

As I mentioned above the "S" is heavy but I routinely hand hold it.  The shot below is hand held and it was very cold.

Funny how you 100% disagree with me, but, then said exactly what I said. 

The Sigma 150-600 C isn't worth keeping (not in the same class as the S version or the Canon 100-400 IS II) and the Sigma 150-600 S is heavy (2 pounds heavier than the Canon 100-400 IS II).

The only thing we seem to disagree on is what is 'too heavy'. 

No, Mr Matrin that isn't what I said.  Of the three lenses the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens is the best. However, "best" is somewhat subjective and you must consider all the lens' specs.

Note this, "...  the "C" version because I will not use it much, at all, anymore."  And later this, "... Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens for Canon ... will probably go up on the auction block too."

Consider. Heavy is one part.  Price.  Do you need 600mm is another?  Do you require extreme build quality?  How about weather sealing?  The last degree of IQ?  If you answer, yes, to these, you want the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.

The second choice, IMHO, is the "C" version which is an absolute tie to the Tamron.  This is simply a choice matter. However, if I didn't want 600mm than I would get the Canon II in a heartbeat.  

You own the Sigma 150-500mm?  So do I.  I have had three of them.  They are good buys especially when you get it on close-out since Sigma has discontinued it.  It isn't in the same zip code as the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.

I also have the Tamron AF 200-500mm f/5.0-6.3 Di LD SP FEC (IF) Lens for Canon, also.  It is easily the worse lens in this bunch. Not much better than a kit lens. I don't recommend it.

I also don't know why this OP keeps asking this question.  Smiley Frustrated

EB

Hi all

I tested the tamron 150-600 and Sigma C and S. Here is my results.

Tamron is soft at 600mm

Sigma C is just as good as the sport in image quality up to 500mm.

The sigma sport is slightly better and sharper than the C but not by much at 600mm.

Over all The sigma C is just as good as the sport from 150-500mm. It also has a better apperture.

Sigma C at 386mm looses its 5.6 apperture.

Tamron at 436mm looses its 5.6 apperture.

Sigma sport looses its 5.6 apperture at 320mm

Canon 100-400II is around 383mm at its 400 mark, at 5.6

Results concluded.

Paul,

I would have to contest some of your findings or maybe enhance is a better word.

"Canon 100-400II is around 383mm at its 400 mark, ..."

The Tamron at 600mm focal length measures roughly 570mm.  The Siggy twins around 559mm.  I don't know if that is meaningful or not as it is common for zooms to fall short of their advertised specs at the long end.

They may be designed that way to allow for focus breathing or it may be an over optimistic advertising department!

"Tamron at 436mm looses its 5.6 apperture.   <----BTW one 'p' in aperture.Smiley Happy

Sigma sport looses its 5.6 apperture at 320mm"

All zoom lens start to lose aperture at the very first movement of the zoom ring. Albeit it is slight, very slight but it happens.

So, Paul, which lens did you decide to buy?  Or did you, like me, buy all three? Smiley Very Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Paul,

I would have to contest some of your findings or maybe enhance is a better word.

"Canon 100-400II is around 383mm at its 400 mark, ..."

The Tamron at 600mm focal length measures roughly 570mm.  The Siggy twins around 559mm.  I don't know if that is meaningful or not as it is common for zooms to fall short of their advertised specs at the long end.

They may be designed that way to allow for focus breathing or it may be an over optimistic advertising department!

"Tamron at 436mm looses its 5.6 apperture.   <----BTW one 'p' in aperture.Smiley Happy

Sigma sport looses its 5.6 apperture at 320mm"

All zoom lens start to lose aperture at the very first movement of the zoom ring. Albeit it is slight, very slight but it happens. ...

It strikes me that that statement itself could use a bit of enhancing. There are, after all, such things as constant-aperture zooms. And because there are, it doesn't follow that even a variable-aperture zoom necessarily starts to lose aperture immediately upon leaving the wide end. It all depends on how the lens was designed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

would you be talking about the sigma 120-300mm 2.8 it weighs a ton I believe.

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

would you be talking about the sigma 120-300mm 2.8 it weighs a ton I believe.

Actually the Sigma 150-600 OS Sport and the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 have very similar weights. I have the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and use a 2X TC with it very successfully. So I was looking for weight reduction and went with the Canon 100-400 L IS II.

Announcements