cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100-400 mark II image stabilizing

crockny
Enthusiast
I love this lens but having a problem with flying hawks. I got more sharp images with my old 400 5.6 with no IS. Generally I keep it in the 3rd position. I'm wondering if I should turn it off when my shutter speed is high. ..
11 REPLIES 11

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2014/20140225_winston_IS_blog.shtml

"Another forgotten I.S. advantage

Image Stabilization isn’t just a benefit at slow shutter speeds when hand-holding, however. It can actually make your AI Servo AF better — even at the fastest shutter speeds.

I’ll switch gears and look back at another shot taken with an EF Extender, in this case, using the superb EF 200mm f/2.0L IS lens and an EF 1.4x III Extender at a hockey game. Effectively, this hand-held combination is a 280mm f/2.8 lens, shot wide-open in available light. In action situations, Image Stabilization provides a much more stable view in the finder, even when rapidly moving the camera to follow an erratically moving subject. But beyond that — and many sports photographers don’t think of this — if I.S. is active, the autofocus sensor gets the same stable, clear view of the subject that you would through the viewfinder. Whether working hand-held, as I was in this shot, or from a monopod, the AF system gets a better look at the subject and has an advantage in reading detail and reacting instantly to it during a high-speed, continuous shooting sequence. The benefit? Even greater likelihood of consistently sharp frames, throughout a sequence."

Great point you have made.  But in our action case, I think you're assuming that the AF system gets a better look at the subject. I'd say not when it gets confused. We are saying that when you're panning ̣(meaning deliberate movement), in mode 1 and 3, the IS is trying to cancel that panning movement to deleterious effect.  Even in mode 2...who can pan perfectly laterally anyways.   Canon does a great job compared to Tamron and Sigma but when you pan after a bird, you're better off without IS.  Tamron says it in bold print to turn IS off when you do this.  On the Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron came out with a firmware to automatically turn off IS when it detects panning.  I suspect Canon also does this without telling us.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

@jrhoffman75

Great point you have made.  But in our action case, I think you're assuming that the AF system gets a better look at the subject. I'd say not when it gets confused. We are saying that when you're panning ̣(meaning deliberate movement), in mode 1 and 3, the IS is trying to cancel that panning movement to deleterious effect.  Even in mode 2...who can pan perfectly laterally anyways.   

Confused as in lost focus on the subject?

That effect you refer to is what I refer to as AF and IS, the AF in the camera and the IS in the lens, getting into a tug-of-war.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements