cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-18mm on an APS-C

Iggythetiggy
Enthusiast

I'm looking at buying a lower power lens for my 7Dmk1. My lowest zoom currently is my 18-55mm kit lens, and even with it , it leaves me wishing I could zoom further back. I've seen a ton on the 10-18mm for sale on the Marketplace, and all will usuly say, hardly used, or like new. Telling me maybe they aren't quite the lens they hoped for. Case in point, I hiked up to an old place I loved to go near Mt. Baker here in Washington, called Nooksack falls. It's a beautiful overlook but the quarters are tight to get a decent pic of the falls without having the safety fence in the frame. Or would a fixed prime lens of lower power, or a decent wide angle? I've got a cheap "accessory" wide angle adaptor that screws on the 18-55mm but being 1.4 it leaves the typical vingette from the extra distance of the adaptor in the frame. So what is everyone using for APS-C cameras, and low power or wide angle that won't break the bank. I would of had a beautiful b**bleep**bof the falls had I been able to get further back of had a wide angle lens. 

FB_IMG_1604286102630.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Get the Canon EF-S 10-18mm STM. Don't let the low price or availability fool you. It is a very good lens that that takes great photos.  

Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not sure what "Marketplace" you are referring to, but I hope it is not Facebook   Just be aware there are always risks associated the buying used gear directly from an owner.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@iggythetiggy...

If you are going to purchase a ultra wide zoom...  

Buy the 10~22mm over the 10~18.

And..  follow the guys advice on buying used and the source.  Canon refurb is always a good way to go.  

And here you go:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-10-22mm-f-35-45-usm-refurbished

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Another option is to shoot several shots each overlapping the previous one by 25% or so. Edit them into a panorama. You can get it as wide as you want. If three shots isn't enough do 4 or 5 or 6 or how ever many you need.

Throw the accessory add on WA converter in the trash. Because that is what it is.

This is a pano I did because I could not get back further and didn't have a wider lens. It is three shots stitched together in Lightroom.

pano.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was thinking of that, but a waterfall is too dynamic to stitch. Yours only worked because the band was standing still. Could you do it a minute later when they were marching?

"... but a waterfall is too dynamic to stitch."

That is a point that would have to be dealt with.  And, it would depend on what result you are after.  The flowing water could make a dramatic shot.

"Yours ... worked because the band was standing still."

Mostly still is correct.  But not motionless. They are playing the Banner and alma mater.  However, most of that motion was to the front and not to the sides which could present a problem. Obviously if they were in the middle of a drill or diagonal I could not have done it. But no procedure is ever a 100% in photography, only solutions. Which is what makes a good photographer vs the .......

EB

I'll definitely give both a good look over. And I planned on being a refurbished I was just alarmed at the amount on FB Marketplace for sale thinking maybe this isn't a good lens, why I wanted to ask before ordering one up from Canon. I learned my lesson buying used even from a friend. My 28-135 had issues and had to send it in for repairs and ended up spending what a practically new one cost after I got it back. 

Your lens an the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens are of the same build class of lenses. Meaning the build quality. The Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is in more of the beginner class, if that makes any difference to you. IMHO, of course.

EB

I want to strat stepping up as I can afford and replace my "kit" lenses with better glass slowly. I want to get back into the game again. I took some fairly epic shots with my old Film SLR and had decent glass for it. I just got a older Eos Rebel to start that had a mix of lenses then a few years later landed the 7D for a song with only 100 ish shutter count. Then got the 28-135.  Then had a few oddball lenses I've bought didn't  like and sold. But my goal is to get 2 decent lenses a lower power and a decent higher power glass over the next year. So if it's worth stepping up to the 10-22 I'll do that.  Being on disability with an expensive hobby is fun some days. Lol!! 

*Edit I reread everything, looks like the 10-18 is the better choice.. blame pre coffee brain in the AM. 

Announcements