cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image garden to print simple CD label.

Wrterman
Contributor

This new (to me) My Image Garden app is driving me up the wall. My old Canon printer came with a nice, easy to use, CD Label Print app. This enabled me to select a background image for my disc label, put some text on it (adjusting colours, font size, position and orientation) and print it.

I have just spent over half an hour failing to achieve the same results with My Image Garden. After a lot of digging, I finally discovered I need to click on New Art and choose Disc Label. Not intuitive, Canon -  how about a menu item called Create Disc Label?

I was then presented with a window asking me to Select Theme and Main People. I don't want a theme and there are no people in my image. Never mind. I persevered and chose a theme at random. This gave me two small image areas that I didn't want (and couldn't move or delete), plus three text boxes that I couldn't move.

I then discovered the Layout button. That gave me more choices. I chose a blank layout with just text boxes then tried (and failed) to select the desired image as Background. The Background button gave me the option to choose a pattern, single colour or photo. Unfortunately, when I clicked on the Photo button nothing happened other than the appearance of a tick on the left edge of the button. Clicking OK did not give me the option to choose a photo.

At last, I found another layout that had a single image area covering the entire disc face. I chose this one and, as if by magic, the desired image appeared, covering the full disc face. I still couldn't find a way to change the image or move it but at least it was there and I remain unsure as to how the program decided which image to use.

I then typed the required text into one of the text boxes. I was able to set the colour but when I adjusted the font size to what I wanted, the text no longer fitted into the box. I have, as yet, been unable to find a way to change the size or position of the text box, or to delete the other two text boxes that I don't want (although setting the text to a single space rendered them invisible).

Canon, this is one of the most aweful pieces of software it has ever been my misfortune to use (and I am a software developer myself). It is unintuitive, it seems to make the erroneous assumption that everyone wants to use one of your pre-defined disc label layouts and I cannot find a way to design my own layout.

If anyone can advise how to resize, move (and, ideally, bend into an arc) an existing text box, I would be very grateful. Alternatively, if I could just have CD Label Print back (despite its many flaws), that would at least be an improvement.

13 REPLIES 13

CarolatMassa
Apprentice

I feel your pain1  I just spent the last 3 hours trying to replicate my company's CD layout I used on my Epson Artisan printer in Cannon's Image Garden.  It's just not possible!  I am going back to Epson unless I find either another program that I can use that works with my new Cannon MX922 printer.  If anyone knows of such software, please clue me in!  Thanks.

Here is a link to the old Canon CD Label Print, Image Garden, in my opinion is useless.

https://www.filepuma.com/download/cd_labelprint_1.4.2-7348/

Wrterman
Contributor
I now design my label completely as a single image using a non- canon product. I use Paint.net, which is free and very good. I have a template setup which is basically just a square image with a large circle in it to show where the edges of the disk are. I'm sure other drawing products can do the same.

Once I have my label image, including all text, I use Canon's Easy Photoprint EX, downloaded from their website. Click Layout and choose the one without any embelishments. Go to select images and select your prepared label image as the background. Delete the text boxes it insists on giving you and print.

It really shouldn't be that clunky but at least it works.

Canon, take note. Please stop trying to guess what sort of pre-packaged label the "average" user wants and just give us a nice simple way to design a complete label from scratch.

CD-LabelPrint is an excellent program, but unfortunately does not support new Canon printers. (Like my PIXMA TS705)
I have a lot of CD-LabelPrint labels (* .cld), which I can not use anymore. I have contact with Canon, and get the answer: Bad luck ... Does anyone know how to print * .cld files with other software. You do not have to expect anything from Canon anymore! Canon: Shame on you!

Announcements