cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washed out scans using MP Navigator EX in Windows 7

xode0000
Apprentice

There doesn't seem to be a specific forum for scanners so I'm posting my question here.  Using MP Navigator EX 2.0 in Windows 7 32 bit, when scanning either PDF or JPG with the scan type set to magazine, the scan mode set to color, and with the default settings, the scan will come up washed out.  Using either the document or photo scan type in color mode produces even worse results with the scan being very grainy.  Checking the box "Use scanner driver" in MP Navigator EX will produce a proper scan but then that means one extra menu to click through plus time spent loading the scanner driver for each page scanned.  When scanning a multiple page PDF, that becomes way too burdensome.  With Windows XP, scans came up properly in MP Navigator EX with the scan type set to magazine, the scan mode set to color, and with the default settings.  Unfortunately, there are no other controls in MP Navigator EX other than those very limited scan type options.  How can I fix this problem?

7 REPLIES 7

Tiffany

Hi Xode0000,

Welcome to the Canon Forum! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model scanner you're using.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Scanner model is Canoscan LiDE 100 flatbed scanner that connects through and is powered from the USB port.

Hello.

Check the settings in the MP Navigator to ensure that the correct Document Type is selected.  This may improve your results from the program.

If the issue persists, you may have to use the scanner driver to achieve the results you are looking for.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

If you look at my very first post in this thread, you will see that:

(1) that I have already tried all document types available and none of them worked properly;

(2) that I have already tried the scanner driver and got the results I needed, except;

(3) that using the scanner driver adds an additional 2 steps that I need to click through per page scanned as well as about 20 seconds of wait time for MP Navigator EX to load the scanner driver for each page scanned, thus making the use of the scanner driver extremely onerous, especially for multiple page PDF files;

(4) that, with the exact same settings in Windows XP as I am using in Windows 7, I don't have this problem (in Windows XP).

If MP Navigator EX with just a simple document type works properly in Windows XP, then there is no reason it shouldn't work properly in Windows 7, except it doesn't.  What I have requested here is that you tell me what internal settings I need to adjust in MP Navigator EX (e.g. brightness, contrast, etc.), beyond simply selecting a document type and without having to use the scanner driver because MP Navigator EX has made that so onerous, so that I can use MP Navigator EX with just a simple document type in Windows 7 and get the results I need just as I have been able to do in Windows XP.

I'm having the exact same problem, running MP Navigator EX under Windows 10, running a CanoScan LiDE 90.

I've tried every document type and every setting. I can adjust brightness settings when I'm scanning Black & White, but not when scanning color; and every color scan is completely washed out. It's very frustrating.

Hi barcssarc,

I'm afraid that this model was retired prior to the release of Windows 10, and no drivers have been written for the new operating system.  The scanner will continue to work with Windows 8.1 or earlier. Older versions of the drivers may not provide full functionality on new computers.

If you would like to replace your scanner, you are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price, and with free FedEx Ground shipping. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight ET. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Well, it took a bit and this is par for the course for me posting to a forum then figuring things out like 45 minutes later...

I found a way to navigate to let the Scanner Driver handle the scan, which gives you more options. I found an option that KEEPS TURNING ITSELF ON, called "Auto Tone." This 'feature' completely washes out my scans. So I have to scan from the driver dialogue, and turn this thing off every single time I scan. But...I can get good scans again.

Announcements