cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Disc Tray J to print PVC ID Cards

sassywvmom
Contributor

If you are having issues printing PVC ID cards in Disc Tray J here is one very important step that Canon "help support" failed to tell me and that was to change the Media Type to Printable disc (others).  They told me to check my paper size and make sure it was on Disc Tray J, and the paper source.  The paper source defaulted to cassette and didn't give any options to change it.  Once I change the Media Type it all fell in place.  I discovered this on my own minutes before throwing it out the window.  Brainstorm ID ([link removed per forum guidelines]) has a perfect template for Microsoft Word (plus other formats) to make ID cards if you don't already have one.  Many articles I read wanted me to use Photoshop stating the ID cards worked best when formated as a "photo".  I made mine in Word (as a template) and it looks great.

20 REPLIES 20

mattdahack
Apprentice

Ok, So if you're totally frustrated and fuming like I was at repeatedly wasting all your Inkjet PVC cards, let me tell you what I found works for me. You're gonna need to enter these settings in manually. I have tried all the templates and none of them worked without entering in these settings. The **bleep** templates made the printer print an ID card across both cards, then on one half way across and it was such a mess.

Now This is the settings for the right hand side card It will show reversed in the preview but it's for the right card. In the printer dialog box, change the settings that are there by default to these.

Canon J Tray template settings.jpg

Layout: Portrait

Position and Size: Uncheck Center Box

Top: 2.847 Left: 0

Scale: 100% Height: 3.624 Width: 2.375

Scale to Fit Media: Uncheck Box Print Resolution 600PPI

Now try to print again and smile! Hope this helps someone on the search for the right settings.

-Matt

Thanks a lot for your recommendation. It was my saviour after a few wasted days of trying to figure this out.

I have done my settings as you suggested, my media type as "Printable Disc (others)", but I am still not able to print ID cards. The printer will only accept the Disc Tray with a CD, and can print on it, but when I insert the Disc Tray with two ID cards, it will push them out after a few seconds and pop-up this message.

"Support Code : 1001
The disk tray is not inserted or a printable disc is not placed on the disc tray."

I think I should mention the fact my printer model number PIXMA iP7240 is not listed on Canon's support site. I wasn't sure what to make of this, but I hope it is irrelevant to my problem. I'll appreciate any useful suggestion.

I've also tried the "Printable Disc (recommended)" and the result is the same, it only prints when I insert a CD, if I insert a pair of PVC cards, it accepts it, but ejects it seconds later with the 1001 error code.

Thank you.

Hi Benedict,

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, to go: https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

Thank you Porcha.

The link you gave me "https://global.canon" has no Product Support section, or perhaps I don't know where to look. If you can help me one step further by pointing me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

If anyone has any infomation that might be useful, my email address is [removed per forum guidelines]

Thank you.

Hi, Benedict!

When you arrive at https://global.canon, you'll need to click on the globe icon near the top to access a map.  That map lets you select which part of the world you live in and it directs you to the site for the Canon company that serves your country or region.  For your convenience, you can just click HERE to go right to the map.

Glad we could help!

Hello everyone, I am happy to annouce that my printer is now printing ID cards. The problem was that one of the sensors on the ID card disk tray was missing. I had it returned to the online store and with just one look at the tray, their techician had noticed the anormally and had it replaced. But I also observed it didn't print using MS word, it only worked when I used CorelD. So I am guesing you need a graphic software.

Special thanks to Danny & Pocha and to all forum members.

PS: I noticed my email address was withdrawn from my previous post, I'm guessing it's against forum regulations, I apologize for that.

Love your post, it answers the issues with those using Photoshop.  I use Paintshop, and have yet to get it figured out.

Hi there,

I have same problem and can't change source to J Tray.

as the links on forum is hidden, can you please email me your solution to shinaf [at] gmail [dot] com

I have window 10 and I designed in word file but when I want to print it, it send it to paper source! :((

- Thanks

Thanks for the help.  Printing PVC cards can really be frustrating.  I do not have Photoshop so your information/guidelines do not help me, but I hope they help others.  I received all my help/advise/guidance from Brainstorm, where I purchased my PVC cards from.  Their info has helped resolve my issues every time.  Great company, great customer service.

Announcements