cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin parallel lines showing up in my scans

JoeStrike
Contributor

Anybody else have this problem - my scans all have very light, very thin parallel lines. They're slightly visible, but if you magnify  the page they're extremely obvious.

I'm using an LIDE 110

Thanx in advance for any suggestions

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Joe,

Any possibility you can provide a sample image of the lines?

Are they in the same spot everytime or does their position vary?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sure, here's one I just did up; really magnified a portion of it so you can see the lines: very faint but they're definitely there.

I scanned the same picture in on my other scanner; no lines to be seen there.

scanner lines.jpg

I get the feeling these might be cause by dirt or dust.  Try cleaning the glass with a lint free cloth and also blow off the surface with canned air.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi JoeStrike.

From your example, the problem seems an artifact of the printing method for the originals.

If you haven't already done so, try toggling the Auto Fix and/or Descreen options in the scanning preferences.  These settings may be found by clicking the Specify button in the Scan/Import window.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

If I get a chance I'll do this later today; otherwise it will have to wait until I'm back from vacation.

I just took a quick look and I don't see those controls anywhere when I open up the scanner in Photoshop, or when I go to the Scan function in my apps list

Hello.

If you are opening the Scangear interface from Photoshop, go to the Advanced Mode tab.  Once there, you can find the options for Descreen and other adjustments.

Scangear

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm away from home, won't be back until next Monday - will try this out then; thanks for the suggestion.

Announcements