cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP Navigator EX says driver is not installed even though it is

emilyc1111
Contributor

Hi, I've been trying for hours to get MP Navigator EX to open so I can use it with my CanoScan 5600F to scan negatives. I've had this scanner since 2011 and have used it succesfully on both my current laptop and a previous one I had. I'm running Windows 8.1, and as far as I know my OS hasn't changed since last time I used it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both MP Navigator EX and the CanoScan driver, trying out both the downloads for Windows 8.1 and for Windows 8. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it? My computer won't recognize that my scanner is plugged in either - it doesn't show up under My Devices. The scanner turns on and when it's plugged into my laptop, my laptop makes a sound recognizing that something has been plugged in to a USB port. I've tried every port and none of them will work. I downloaded the free trial of VueScan, which doesn't require a driver to work, and it was able to do a flatbed scan from my CanoScan. I'd like to keep using MP Navigator if there's a way to fix this issue.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all, just wanted to update as I have found a solution. I uninstalled the driver and software, then restarted my computer. Then I went to C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\Temp and deleted all the files in that folder.  Whatever file(s) it says can't be deleted, just hit "skip" and ok. Then I restarted my computer once more, reinstalled the driver and then MP Navigator, and now it all works as normal!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Hi Michael, I just followed the uninstalling and reinstalling instructions again. This time when I plugged in the scanner after the driver installation, the device setup window came up and the progress bar did not get stuck and it went to completion. I then attempted to launch MP Navigator but I still got the error screen saying the device driver is not installed.

As a test, do you have another computer that you could try installing your scanner on?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Unfortunately I don't have another computer to test it on at the moment.

Hello.

Try disabling any firewall programs on the computer and try again.  If the error persists, and you are using the 14.0.7a driver and the MP Navigator EX Ver. 2.05, the only alternatives we have at this point would be to contact your computer manufacturer for assistance or use the scanner on a different PC in order to use the MP Navigator program.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Yeah, turning off the firewall still doesn't fix the problem so I guess I will see if HP support has any suggestions.

Hi all, just wanted to update as I have found a solution. I uninstalled the driver and software, then restarted my computer. Then I went to C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\Temp and deleted all the files in that folder.  Whatever file(s) it says can't be deleted, just hit "skip" and ok. Then I restarted my computer once more, reinstalled the driver and then MP Navigator, and now it all works as normal!

I was having all the same problems and did all these steps and then this last step. Still no go until I plugged the scanner into a port on the back of my desktop instead of into a hub attached to a front port. A device installing window then opened and everything worked. I tried connecting it back into the hub and it all stopped working again until I reconnected to the back port. So it goes...

The only solution online that really works. Thank you  so much!! Canon software needs a little polishing.

Announcements