cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiDE 220 scanner head scratches glass with slightest pressure applied

scantosh
Apprentice

I have a Canon LiDE 220 scanner. I need to digitize some archives and because the pages are not straight I need to apply some pressure with my hands while scanning them in order to straighten them up. Otherwise, some areas will not lay flat on the glass and will be out of focus thus producing blurred scans. I have removed the cover of the scanner because the archives are thick and stitched together thus I cannot use the cover to apply pressure. Even with very slight pressure applied, the scanner head starts scratching the underside of the glass (which must have bent or sunk a little?) and eventually gets stuck and the scan fails. This makes the scanner useless for most of my work.

My previous scanner has served me very well for years and I've never had such an issue so I didn't even anticipate such a problem when I had to choose a replacement for it. Given the very shallow focus depth of the scanner head, applying pressure to straighten pages seems crucial for any such scanner in order to fulfill its purpose. So, unless I'm missing something, Canon LiDE 220 seems to have an engeneering flaw?

This leads to my questions:
Does anyone else have this problem with this or any other model of scanner? 
Can anyone suggest a fix, perhaps a slight modification of the scanner, so that the scanner head does not get stuck with the slightest pressure applied?
In general - how am I supposed to choose a scanner model that will work for my purposes when such characteristics (like maximum allowable pressure applied) are not even mentioned in the specification? Perhaps this problem is not expected to occur and it's just this model that is flawed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Subject: LiDE 220 scanner head scratches glass with slightest pressure applied

Canon does warn of this:

I Broke My Scanner.png

Glass doesn't bend.  Putting enough force on the glass causing the scanner element to contact the glass means you are pressing way too hard.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Subject: LiDE 220 scanner head scratches glass with slightest pressure applied

Canon does warn of this:

I Broke My Scanner.png

Glass doesn't bend.  Putting enough force on the glass causing the scanner element to contact the glass means you are pressing way too hard.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

You are right - it's explained in the manual. I have overlooked that part of it. I guess I'll have to find another solution. Thanks for your input, shadowsports.

Greetings,

I needed a day to remember.

Here's what I recommend. 

Do a google search for "CZUR ET16 Plus"

This will solve your problem.  I have used these products many times.  The quality is excellent. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'll have a look at it, thanks!
Announcements