cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP digital photo professional will not open images in folder

paulvzo
Contributor

I have a number of subject folders of vintage photographs from my father and his father, pro's and published.  The images were scanned (Canon, of course!) and subsequently adjusted and manipulated for levels, cropping, and gray scale to eliminate yellow paper color, etc.

I have several folders that DPP will NOT open, just placeholders with a big X on it with the full file name.  I cannot see any reason some folders would load without issue, others don't .  There is no probablem with any other graphics program.  Oh, Windows 7. 

I really need to be able to have this work right for my business.  DPP is the only program I've found that will make excelletn contact sheets/index sheets that allows full control of the printer so I can custome set and do duplex printing.  Easy Photo Print also makes nice index sheets, but with absolutely no printer control or options.  Bzzzzzt.

Thanks, Paul

8 REPLIES 8

Shanna
Enthusiast

Hello paulvzo!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your inquiry!

Your post has been moved to the Printer section of the forums because you advised the images were scanned in.  We feel that you will receive the best possible response from this section.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is a much more efficient way to get help! They're ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

We hope this helps!

Shanna, this is most definutek NOT a printer problem!  I don't know how you thought that!  It is a software problem that has NOTHING to do with any printer.

Sheesh.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My first thought is to recommend you buy Lightroom.  Way more advanced than DPP but it isn't free of course.  But on second thought, what file type did you save the photos in.  They should be tiff.  What editor did you use?  If you did use PS or PSE, than DPP will never open them.  You need to look else where as this may not be a DPP issue.  Instead it may be a computer OS problem and file incompatibility.

Lightroom, as recommended, will open most files types that you will encounter.  Even the native Canon RAW files.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ramona
Authority

Hi paulvzo,

What camera/printer are you using with Digital Photo Professional?  Also, what version of Digital Photo Professional do you have installed on your computer?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Ramona, there is no camera involved.  Canon scanner, remember?  Not opening plain old jpg or png images has nothing to do with source.  Four or five other photo programs open them without issue. 

The good news for me is that Xnview freeware allows a nice custom thumbs/proof page just like I was getting with Easy Photo Print (but no printer controls), or I could get with DPP...............if the images opened.

You can understand why we thought this was a printer issue since you posted it in the General Printer Discussion section.  DPP is designed to be a camera/printer interface not a file management tool.

Get something else.

EB

I didn't post it in Printer discussions, I believe I put it in Software.

"Get something else."  Wow!  Want insight!  You mean like Nikon, Sony, or Panasonic?

In fact, I DID already say that I "got something else," Xnview. 

I didn't post it in Printer discussions, I believe I put it in Software.

"Get something else."  Wow!  Want insight!  You mean like Nikon, Sony, or Panasonic?

In fact, I DID already say that I "got something else," Xnview. 

It is indeed under the General Printer Discussion on my side of the site!  Smiley Frustrated  Check the top of the page.

Get something else meant software not brand. How did you draw that conclusion?

Unless you have me totally confused, it sounds like you want a file management program not a photo editing/ printing program.

DPP is photo editing/printing software designed to be used with Canon cameras and printers.  It will open those file types.  Mybe it will open others I don't use it that way since it is not it's purview.

EB
Announcements