cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canoscan 9950F

longinthetooth
Contributor

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone could give me the benefit of their experience. I have bought a used 9950f scanner which worked the first time I used it (with a 32 bit Vista laptop and canoscan Toolbox 4.932 and Scangear 10.324a). To my dismay, a few minutes later, when I tried it again, the lower scanner head (not sure of the correct name for this part but it has the light in it) moves forward OK but sticks on the way back and I can hear a quiet, regular click. The resulting scan has thin parallel vertical lines on it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Toolbox and driver to no effect.

My question really is - is this definitely a mechanical issue or could either the onboard electronics or the pc software/driver be responsible for this symptom. At the moment I'm not sure what else I can do.

Thanks in advance

JB

5 REPLIES 5

longinthetooth
Contributor

A little more info. I have now managed to scan both photos and negatives but after scanning a few I find the scanner does not complete its movement back to its home position and I have to switch off, then on again. The scanner then completes its cycle. If I leave it powered down for a short while I can usually scan another few and so on. I have mostly been scanning 120 format negatives. It certainly doesn't like multi scanning - it doesn't complete the scan but I can usually get away with a single negative.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks

JB

Hi longinthetooth!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please http://www.canon.com, and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks for letting me know that Jenine - I'm aware how out of warranty this product is, and that I'm on the other side of the pond so was unlikely to trigger "official" support but I did wonder if someone with experience of this scanner might give me a steer in the right direction. 

dindidit
Apprentice

The first possible issue is the 9950F is supposed to be used with 64 bit systems only. The 9900F is a 32 bit use scanner. I own both. I have been using the 32bit software presto,etc with OK results. Drivers need to be 64 bit. Looking for an original 9950F install disc as some functions not working with latest download from Canon site

Thanks for your reply dindidit and sorry for not noticing it sooner. I have a windows 8.1 64 bit laptop and have tried to run the 9500f in windows 7  and vista compatibility mode without success thus far. Scangear shows an error message "Unable to open twain source...." 

There doesn't seem to be windows 8 driver for this scanner.

JB

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements