cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon P-215 II scanner issue on Windows 10

ahr_helpdesk
Apprentice

Hi There,

We have a user who uses a P-215 II scanner. He uses with auto mode off, so that he could install and use the desktop application for the respective scanner. 

However, all of a sudden the scanner stopped working an throws up an error saying no scanner found. Upon removing the scanner cable and reconnecting it with auto mode on works perfectly. So, I figured this could be due to the drivers and it was indeed showing up that the dirvers aren't taken even though it is already installed and has been working.

So I did a complete windows update, ininstalled the software, drivers... etc and reinstalled it again with no success. Device manager still shows that it's not picked up the drivers. I have tried both the USB ports with no luck. So I tried it on a different PC and it was all working fine.

Now the question is how can completely delete the drivers and reinstall it, and make it work?

19 REPLIES 19

Hello,

I have the same issue.

Could it be due to some Windows Update? I am also running Windows 10 64 bits. I have done some updates yesterday, and it seems my scanner is not working since... yesterday.

The other problem is that Windows is so **bleep**y these days that I do not even understand how to uninstall some updates to test that...

Regards,

Nicolas

ckblack007
Apprentice

Support folks,

We have given you adequate information to triage this issue.  We have been waiting months to years for an answer to this.

We cannot guarantee how the scanner will function with third-party programs, but if the scanner is not found within CaptureOnTouch, please download and run the Restoration Tool for Windows Registry. To download and run this tool, please follow the instructions at the link below:

Scanner is Not Recognized Properly in Windows or the imageFORMULA Utility

If you still continue to experience an error, we will have to recommend that you call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). While we understand the forum may be the preferred method of communication, the next troubleshooting steps will need to be provided by phone, with a technician assisting you through them.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

nstubi
Contributor

Hello,

Some credit to ckblack007 for his last post.

We are waiting for an answer.

Best Regards,

Nicolas

This fix still does not work. Can someone post the cause. We have a Win 7 pro system that all of a sudden changed to being a drive instead of a scanner. This is starting to look like a bug in the scanner communication with win 7 and 10. Pretty frustrating that this has gone on for so long and still no answer from canon.

Hi I would like to bump this issue.

I just ordered 20+ units of these scanners to deploy to remote workers and have been unable to get them installed. I tested them about 3 years back but I believe we were still on Win7. I tried the registry fix, and went in manually as well to confirm the device ID's matched, but it still doesnt work. When I launch COT for the first time it brings up the scanner which I select, but when attempting to scan it says "cannot find scanner. Check the power and the cables". I have both USB cables plugged in but the scanner still isn't showing up in the device manager or in the "printers/scanners" section. The scanner does show up as a usb drive though. When I open the scanner in my computer and run the app it says "an error has occured while communicating with the scanner. close the aplication and reconnect the scanner".

Hopefully someone has made some progress on this or I'm going to have a bunch of grumpy clients.

Hey Guys,

Made a bit of progress. I did a full uninstall of all the software and started over with the driver from the Canadian support site instead of the USA one.

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1031627/loc/en_US#__highlight

"WindowsSP6 driver"

This actually gets the scanner communicating with the PC and works flawlessly with Windows Fax & Scan. Hopefully this will help someone out. I think the capture on touch SW is pretty bad and constantly loses connection from my past experience so this might be a solid option going forward for less tech savy clients. 

***Make sure to keep autostart set to off otherwise Windows thinks it's an external drive. Apparently it's supposed to run Capture On Touch light with the switch in that position but Windows is unable to launch the app that is included***

Tovia1994
Apprentice

I recently ran into this issue and the Canadian driver did work, I then just use the CaptureOnTouch Standard_V4.13.1122.1221 unplugged the device, installed both, reconnected the device and ran it, then it worked. 

kerryriley
Apprentice

I've had this problem. It's caused by Windows drivers getting loaded; you can see this from Device Manager.

I solved this by two steps:

1. Uninstall the Canon drivers from the Windows 10 Settings - Apps window.
  2. Open Device Manager - Imaging Devices. You should see the Canon P-251II USB, but it will probably have a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Right-click and select Uninstall device. You could also do this by selecting Update Driver and pointing it to a folder that has the x64 Canon driver, but Uninstalling is simpler. Now reinstall the Canon driver. Currently this is "P-215II_DriverV1.0.11401.14001_SP6_forWindows". OnTouch should be able to see the scanner.

mgarcia
Apprentice

Not aware if anyone has resolved this but I have a Canon P-215ii and I got it to work in Windows 11/10 using the x86 driver that comes with the current canon driver on a third party application as well as the Microsoft Scan App.

Announcements