cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LiDE 120 Error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"

SimplyTev
Contributor

ccws.tif

I've tried troubleshooting multiple times:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers

- Returned and bought same model scanner

- Tried different drivers

- Tried different USB ports

My computer build is:

Intel i7 4770k

16GB 1866MHz RAM 

Asus Maximus Impact VI

nVidia GTX 780

Corsair RM550

Windows 8.1 64bit 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else get this? It's making me quite livid just trouble shooting it. I've read a lot of reviews on this on Amazon and other websites that says that this is plug and play for the most part. What am I doing wrong??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

75 REPLIES 75

I have ASUS H81I-PLUS, interesting enough it wasn't mentioned on system specs, let me check motherboard drivers ...

I have ASUS MB but I use LogiLink PC0054A without any problems.

I have the same issue.  I bought the LiDE 120 scanner in February 2015 and it has worked fine on Windows 7, then Windows 8/8.1 and recently on Windows 10. I switched on my laptop one morning last week and the scanner didnt work, exhibiting the symptoms described here (error code 2,156,73). 

At first I thought the scanner was faulty or perhaps the USB cable.  I changed the cable, no difference.  I downloaded and installed the latest Windows10 driver and software from Canon, no change. I did the functional test on Scangear, the scan arm went from one end to the other and back with no problem and Scangear reported the scanner was working properly. 

If the scanner was working properly before I have to wonder what has changed?  My immedaite thought woud be some other software that was installed like a Windows update, but people are reporting this problem for some time so I still think it must be a hardware fault??

jmajander
Apprentice

I have this problem with LiDE 220 also Smiley Sad It was there already with Win 8.1, but it is now even worse with Win 10 (Build 10240). In fact, the problem appears almost every time when I restrict the area being scanned and use some magnification, say 130%. When I scan at 100%, the problem appears later, but it will ALWAYS appear sooner or later. Unplugging USB cable helps, but I hate to do it before every scan.

I also have a "high-end" PC, with Intel Core i7-4790K CPU 4.00 GHz (Haswell) and ASUS Z97-AR motherboard.

This error drives me grazy. Because I couldn't find any reason for problem in my PC, I asked the seller to replace the unit. I got the new scanner, but the problem remains...

Well, hopefully programmers have found enough evidence to take a closer look at the issue. I have not yeat found solution to my problem. The fact is, scanner was working perfectly fine on Win7, after the upgrade to Win10 it simply does not.

I am afraid nobody is investigating this incident. It bothers me so much, that I have decided to bring this scanner back to the shop. Trying to use Lide 220 is waste of time. I will continue to use my old A3 Mustek scanner, which is much more reliable, but also much bigger.

Spoiler

elinlife
Apprentice

This problem still exists!

I just got new computer with Asus Z170 motherboard (Asmedia USB) and I get error Code:2 155,177.

I love my LiDE 120 so please Canon FIX THIS!

Pollai
Contributor

It seems that most people are getting no luck getting it to work even after:

1. Sending it off for repair
  2. Using another replacement unit (Lide 120/220)

Unfortunately, with that in mind I think I will have to turn down their offer of repair and instead try to send it back to the shop. I may have some trouble doing so as I purchased the device in April of this year! I only held on to it for so long in the hope that it would finally start working once my PC was upgraded to Windows 10.

The fact that Canon support do not know how to solve this issue means that I just have to accept that a Canon scanner simply does not 'agree' with my system, which is a shame as it works brilliantly on a Windows 7 PC. I need to use a scanner daily so I don't think I can wait. I shall purchase an alternative in the meantime (Suggestions?) whilst I try to return this one.

Who should I contact regarding a return and refund? The seller or Canon, the manufacturer? I am in a weird spot with the seller, especially after waiting for so long to contact them and also because the device actually works, just not on my computer and operating systems (as advertised).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jmajander
Apprentice

According to the LiDE 120/220 specifications Windows 10 is not a compatible operating system. Is it because Windows 10 is such a new OS, these models have not been tested with Windows 10 or these models simply are incompatible at the moment - or the worst case - will also remain incompatible with Windows 10? What ever is the reason, from a buyer's perspective it's a shame, because obviously you would expect full compatibility. Especially now that Windows 10 is getting quickly adopted.

I have the same problem with both my CanosSan and MX Printer's scanner. The drivers Cannon claims work with Windows 10 simply do not.

After wasting an hour with Cannon tech support, retrying all the things I'd already tried, the Cannon tech finally admitted that their scanners do not work with Windows 10.

I wonder if Cannon realizes how many long term customers they're loosing due to the fact that NONE of their scanners work with Windows 10?

I'm hoping there will be a Class Action suit against Cannon over this issue since they are still selling scanners they know won't work with the current Windows OS

Announcements