cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LiDE 120 Error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"

SimplyTev
Contributor

ccws.tif

I've tried troubleshooting multiple times:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers

- Returned and bought same model scanner

- Tried different drivers

- Tried different USB ports

My computer build is:

Intel i7 4770k

16GB 1866MHz RAM 

Asus Maximus Impact VI

nVidia GTX 780

Corsair RM550

Windows 8.1 64bit 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else get this? It's making me quite livid just trouble shooting it. I've read a lot of reviews on this on Amazon and other websites that says that this is plug and play for the most part. What am I doing wrong??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

75 REPLIES 75

I get the same thing. The progress bar will stop at percentages that range anywhere from 10% to 90%. Any Canon tech support workers up in this forum that can help us out? The software is great. I love how on the less than 5% chance that my scan succeeds, I can easily CTRL+F and actually find words on it. It's just that the hardware is faulty. It's making me quite livid.

Pollai
Contributor

Would any of you guys be willing to reset their PC and see if the device works with a clean version of Windows 8.1? I would do it but since I have exams starting in a week I don't want to go through the hassle.

If not, I shall do it myself in about 4 weeks 🙂

I have a new LIDE 220 on Win 8.1 x64.

I have the errors:2,156, 3 (6, 12, 73, 82, 113, 177)

On other forums, some people are recommending changing of the scanner cable.

I tried:

- 12 USB cables of length between 75-150 cm.
- Y cable, with 2 standard A plugs, (HAMA 39748), in order to have more power.
- tried shielded and double shielded cables.

I have the same errors.

Problem:

The problem on my computer is incompatibility of LIDE with ASMEDIA USB 3.0 driver (I have an ASMEDIA chip on my MB).

I tried all ASMEDIA drivers available (8 versions) - the same errors.

I tried also to uninstall ASMEDIA drivers (to let Windows to use his own Microsoft drivers). It is working several times but, after that, the errors are returning.

My solution:

I did a clean install of Win 8.1 and the scanner is working OK.

I tried also Win 10, build 10130 and it's OK.

It's important to let Windows to instal his own USB drivers (from Microsoft), and not installing any ASMEDIA drivers.

My solution no. 2:

Use a PCI-E USB card with a chipset other than ASMEDIA, like NEC/RENESAS.

I tried with LogiLink PC0054A with Windows default drivers.

All OK. No error.

Thank you for your post.

I cannot even begin to express how angry I feel right now (Not with you). I have just completed a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my PC - a process that took quite a long time only to find that there still is no progress. I have logged into safe-mode and the errors still persist.

I have contacted Canon support directly too and they also offer no solution. If it works on Windows 7 then it is not faulty, so what could the problem be?

This doesn't solve my problem, as I get the same errors on a mac. If anyone has any other ideas, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to have to return this scanner that I just bought.

Hey guys,

I got a brand new PC, and was having the same 'Code 2' error as everyone else here. According to earlier posts in this thread, my setup was the trifecta of doom - Windows 10 64-bit, Asus motherboard (Z170-A), and ASMedia USB controller.

Fortunately for me, I downloaded the drivers linked to in message 63 above, uninstalled the old drivers, and installed the new. I have scanned several documents so far and everything is working perfectly. Seems faster than it used to be on my old machine as well.

Hope this helps somebody out there, as I signed up just to post this message 🙂

Pollai
Contributor

Hello everybody,

I installed Windows 10 Pro ealier today and unfortunately I can confirm that it still does not rectify the issue - despite there seemingly being a new driver and software package released on the 22nd of July.

My only hope was that this upgrade to Windows 10 might change things but unfortunately it hasn't. I will try to contact Canon to see what options are now available to me.

I have CanoScan Lide 120, which was working perfectly fine on Win7, now that I have upgraded to Win10 it does not work anymore. I get an error 2,156,167. Have tried to uninstall the driver, found new one on official website, but it didn't help.

Scanner makes noise, like it's going to start scaning, but then nothing happens. When I use the preview function, it actually starts scanning, but stops somewhere in the middle (at 7%, 18%, ...)

My specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name NEW-PC
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model All Series
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU All
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0803, 7.1.2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Slovenija
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10240.16392"
User Name NEW-PC\Gašper
Time Zone Central Europe Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7,68 GB
Available Physical Memory 4,73 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15,4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12,1 GB
Page File Space 7,75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Based on what you have said I am beginning to suspect that the issue may be related to the Motherboard. I have the ASUS Z87 Pro.

Announcements