cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LiDE 120 Error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"

SimplyTev
Contributor

ccws.tif

I've tried troubleshooting multiple times:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers

- Returned and bought same model scanner

- Tried different drivers

- Tried different USB ports

My computer build is:

Intel i7 4770k

16GB 1866MHz RAM 

Asus Maximus Impact VI

nVidia GTX 780

Corsair RM550

Windows 8.1 64bit 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else get this? It's making me quite livid just trouble shooting it. I've read a lot of reviews on this on Amazon and other websites that says that this is plug and play for the most part. What am I doing wrong??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

75 REPLIES 75

sx00237
Apprentice

I have exactly the same problem with the CanoScan LiDE 220, what strikes me is that we both have a "Hi-End / Better" (ASUS) Computer System then the average computer user.

My System components are:

- Motherboard : ASUS X99 -A, S2011-3 , 8xDDR4 ATX
- Processor : Intel Xeon E5-1620V3 3.5GHz , 10MB , S2011-3
- Memory : LPX Corsair Vengeance 16GB ( 4x4GB ) 2400MHz CL14
- Video : nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2048MB OC

- Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers (different versions) many times...

- Tried different USB ports

- GRrrr@#$%&..

- Even a "Clean System installation"  did not work...

it seems that the Canon products are not fully tested on the faster Computer Systems available today.....?

A clean system installation?? You actually formatted and reinstalled your OS and it didn't work?

Thats correct and it didn't work!  Today I connect my scanner to an old Windows 7 64-Bits system (ASUS P5Q / Intel® P45 chipset) everything works like a charm on that old system. So nothing wrong with the scanner, it must be a driver thing who has problems with the support of the newer chipsets. 

Is there not anyone out there that will help us? Maybe we posted in the wrong thread? Perhaps a mod could move this thread for me? I purchased this scanner with my hard earned money and I really don't want it to become a paper weight because of some drivers that refuse to communicate with my computer. 

Anyone? Help? Please? I need these files scanned..

Hello SimplyTev!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your inquiry!

The Forums aren't meant for immediate assistance, but are designed to allow the community to help each other with issues encountered or tips they'd like to share along the way.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is a much more efficient way to get help! They're ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

We hope this helps!

@Shanna wrote:

Hello SimplyTev!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your inquiry!

The Forums aren't meant for immediate assistance, but are designed to allow the community to help each other with issues encountered or tips they'd like to share along the way.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is a much more efficient way to get help! They're ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

We hope this helps!

This is the worst customer service response I have ever seen in my life. This thread is about a very common problem that Canon refuses to acknowledge or fix and when customers beg for the manufacturer's help Canon responds with, 'figure it out amongst yourselves'. Unbelievable! Someone should be fired.

I contacted support, telling them that I had tried unpluggin, repluggin, restarting, etc. They sent me here: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART140120&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&search...

...so, basically, they just told me to unplug it and replug it. Not helpful at all. I'm stuck. I have no idea how to fix this. Obviously there's some communication from the scanner to the computer, since it automatically boots the scan utility. But I just get the error message

"

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:
- Scanner is turned off.
- USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again.

Code:15,156,0"

Very disappointed. There's nothing wrong with the machine, as I can actually get it to work on my husband's Dell. Is it possible there's a software problem with getting it to work on Mac , running El Capitan?

I tried to fix this problem with a technician walking me through on the phone and still nothing happened. The scanner is going back to you and someone else is getting my business.  It seems like you do not care about fixing a problem that OBVIOUSLY some people are having.

Pollai
Contributor

I have the exact same problem as you with my new Canon LiDE 120. The errors I get are: 2, 156, 182, 55 and sometimes 77 when using it on my Windows 8.1 (64 Bit) desktop PC. I have tried installing and uninstalling the drivers multiple times, used different ports and still nothing. It does however work properly on a Windows 7 device.

My PC's specification is as follows:

Windows 8.1 (64 Bit) - With latest updates

Avast Premier

Malwarebytes

ASUS z87 Pro

Intel 4770k

ASUS GTX 670 (4GB)

8GB 1600MHz Kingston RAM

Things I have done

1. Tried different ports (USB 2.0 and 3.0)
  2. Installed all software & driver from CD
  3. Installed all software & driver from Canon Website
  4. Installed only the latest driver from Canon Website (April 2015)
  5. Tried to use Windows Fax & Scan, Scan, IJ Scan Utility, Scangear and Vuescan.

What happens

• The physical buttons on the device are unresponsive
  • The computer says it is warming up, but nothing happens
  • It starts to scan for a few seconds and then comes to an abrupt end - this can happen at 10% of the scan or even at 91%.

Surely the problem cannot be with Windows 8.1 since the device was only released last year. What could be the issue? I called their support line and was advised to clear the drivers of previous scanners used by my system, I did this and there still is no change. Could somebody please help me! Smiley Sad

Announcements