cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LiDE 120 Error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"

SimplyTev
Contributor

ccws.tif

I've tried troubleshooting multiple times:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers

- Returned and bought same model scanner

- Tried different drivers

- Tried different USB ports

My computer build is:

Intel i7 4770k

16GB 1866MHz RAM 

Asus Maximus Impact VI

nVidia GTX 780

Corsair RM550

Windows 8.1 64bit 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else get this? It's making me quite livid just trouble shooting it. I've read a lot of reviews on this on Amazon and other websites that says that this is plug and play for the most part. What am I doing wrong??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

75 REPLIES 75

Pollai
Contributor
I also used VueScan but it didn't solve the issue. It might work every once in a while but it is simply a fluke.

Return it and order a different scanner. I got the HP Scanjet 300 and it is perfect.

I tried Vuescan too.  It worked intermitantly, but still had the same issues.  I sent the new Canoscan back and got an Epson, which has worked flawlesslysince I plugged it in.

digirambo
Contributor
Ahhhh I see. I was basing it on the first few scans. Guess it was too soon. Thank you for the comments! If I get annoyed l will take your recommendations! It's a shame that a good product like this is failed by poor drivers....

Yeah, this method helps.

Since i am a Chinese user who meets the same problem that the cannon lide 120 interrupts scanning and prompting the error message: code:2156177, i search this forum and find @JP_ 's "power saving" solution is fine.

i am using desktop computer whose mother board is Gigabyte and i guess the USB chipset must be ASUS's. The operating system is Windows 7 SP1 (not the clean version). this PC is used for my company to scan documents and convert them to PDF files. The error message: code 2156177 prompts when PDF scanning. Scanning one document never prompts this error.

So I follow @JP_ 's solution to adjust the power-saving feature in Control Panel -- from "Balanced" to "Saving Power" mode, the time to close monitor is set to 5 mins and the time to close harddisk is set to 10 mins. However you can adjust it by your own method. And i even changed the advanced power settings to Maxim Power Saving Volumn in PCI-Express option. The word may not be correct since i translate the Chinese to English directly.

But this solution is not perfect because when i continuously scan documents to 35 pages  this error prompts again.

So i decide to start PC in Balanced mode and switch to Power Saving mode when i am going to scan PDF files. After scanning, i then switch to Balanced mode again.

If this solution still meets error, then i would consider to install a PCI-E card. The hardware problem is the cause i can say.

So, i would wait and see.

Just installed my LIDE 120 today, same problem on OSX El Capitan.  Looks like Canon is not doing anything about it, if I read this thread. I am going to try and return it to the supplier.

Driver v1.02 is posted.

History:

[Ver.1.02]
- The scan error in the certain PC has been rectified.

Maybe this will fix the scanning errorfor good.

Whoa! 5 consecutively successful scanning with the newest driver on W10 x64! Just the other day, I couldn't not get it to scan one picture! Thank you!

ivi007
Apprentice

Hi,

I had the same problem. 

Solution:

I stopped in the task-manager the background-process of my banking-software. Now everything works fine, but

I don't have a clue why!?

thefarhad
Apprentice

Finally figured out the SOLUTION!!!! "Tested in Win 10 X64 and will work on all x64 windows installations. 

I first installed free version of last release of drivermax from drivermax.com.

then scanned for hardware update then installed canon driver with drivermax.

the driver was ok but needed the canon scangear to work.

|I downloaded the official driver from canon website ten installed scangear.

after installing scangear installation intalls the official driver from the package which doesn't work.

You have to go to device manager and click on update scanner driver.

The "Browse my conputer.

then select "Let me pick from a list.

there will be 2 drivers to choose.

you have to choose CanoScane lide 120 which is from drivermax.

Don't choose Canon LiDE 120 which is official driver.

Now works fine.

I had the problem since monthes and nothing could solve it till I did this way and I'm happy now!!!

Announcements