cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LiDE 120 Error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"

SimplyTev
Contributor

ccws.tif

I've tried troubleshooting multiple times:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers

- Returned and bought same model scanner

- Tried different drivers

- Tried different USB ports

My computer build is:

Intel i7 4770k

16GB 1866MHz RAM 

Asus Maximus Impact VI

nVidia GTX 780

Corsair RM550

Windows 8.1 64bit 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else get this? It's making me quite livid just trouble shooting it. I've read a lot of reviews on this on Amazon and other websites that says that this is plug and play for the most part. What am I doing wrong??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

75 REPLIES 75

Yeah, I tried the powered USB hub option too.  It worked for exactly one scan, just like the USB port on the computer.  I can't believe that Canon was willing ot loose this many customers over faulty drivers.  After 30 years of using Canon printers, scanners and cameras, I was forced to return the Canoscan 220 I bought thinking the 110 was just old, and purchase an Epson. It plugged in and worked flawlessly.

Certainly not something I wanted to do, but Canon's flat out refusal to even address the issue left me with no other options.  Perhaps Canon should ask Epson how they managed to wrte a working driver for Windows 10?

I have the same problem on upgrated computer with windows 10 Pro installed and additional front USB 3 ports.

I was using the front ports(USB 3) without success on higher resolutions(600).

Then I used the original mother board ones. And so far it was successful.

My quess is that the original motherboard ones have better USB 3 power supply management!

The scanner itself is powered from the USB. It has requirements for the 'USB' power capabilities i.e. it still have moving parts

(stepper motor).

Therefore when weak USB power powers the USB electronics then during the scanning process it causes the power drain and the weak power management of the USB board either causes insufficient power to the electronics or somehowe interfers the communications and causes the communication failure.

If you have these problems, try to you the USB power Boost ... ?

I have to take it back ... It stopped working again, I don't know what happened. Last error: 5,202,8 An Internal error has occurred. Scanner driver will be closed.

Frustrating ... It's completely new scanner and it doesn't work as it should

I ended up returning mine to the retailer, citing incompability problems and replaced it with a HP Scanjet 300 for only £11 more which is due to arrive soon.

Let's just hope this is the end of my nightmare with all this.

I just bought the CanoScanLide 120 and I have Windows 10. I have found the solution for Canon LiDE 120 error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"  Paste the link below and download it's free.

http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0100601701.html

This driver supports  and it works

OS
  • Windows 10
  • Windows 10 (x64)
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 8.1 (x64)
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 8 (x64)
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 7 (x64)
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows Vista (x64)
  • Windows XP

@Basty123 wrote:

I just bought the CanoScanLide 120 and I have Windows 10. I have found the solution for Canon LiDE 120 error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"  Paste the link below and download it's free.

This driver supports  and it works

OS
  • Windows 10
  • Windows 10 (x64)
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 8.1 (x64)
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 8 (x64)
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 7 (x64)
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows Vista (x64)
  • Windows XP

I made an account on here just to say that the above driver worked. I left the scanner plugged in. And just proceeded with the install. It over wrote the old driver and is working like a dream now. I'm using Windows 10 64 Bit

Excellent I can also confirm the driver above (unlike the similar one at the USA site) solves a similar communication problem on Windows 7 (64) when trying to scan multiple pages

Hello,

I come from Vietnam. I have same issues with this scanner. This thread help me to save a lot of time. Thanks you for everybody and Canon please fire the person whom take our time !

I confirm this drive fixed the problem:

Graeme
Apprentice

Most of the problems reported have two factors in common:

• An Asus motherboard
  • Windows 10

I had the same problem as you have described. Tried everything I could think of and finally solved it by installing an NEC-based PCI card with USB 2.0 connectors. Installed the card, booted up and no problems.

The issue appears to be something to do with the Asus motherboards and Windows 10. By placing suitable intermediary hardware (PCI card in this case) between the scanner and the motherboard seems to solve it. The Canon drivers worked on another (Lenovo) laptop that I used for testing purposes, again with no modifications or problem.

Hope that helps.

digirambo
Contributor

I had the same issue. I bought it on Amazon and got a replacement just now, thinking that it was a faulty unit. I just tried the new unit and got the same error message on the first scan.

I resorted to using another scanning software - VueScan x64 on Windows 10 64bit. It worked on first try!

I am starting to think that it's not just a driver issue, but may be a software issue as well. All of my other USB devices work with current drivers, so I didn't want to mess with the drivers.

If you still have this scanner and don't want to mess with drivers, try out VueScan or another scanning software!

digiRAMbo

Announcements