cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LiDE 120 Error message: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:"

SimplyTev
Contributor

ccws.tif

I've tried troubleshooting multiple times:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers

- Returned and bought same model scanner

- Tried different drivers

- Tried different USB ports

My computer build is:

Intel i7 4770k

16GB 1866MHz RAM 

Asus Maximus Impact VI

nVidia GTX 780

Corsair RM550

Windows 8.1 64bit 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else get this? It's making me quite livid just trouble shooting it. I've read a lot of reviews on this on Amazon and other websites that says that this is plug and play for the most part. What am I doing wrong??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

75 REPLIES 75

The funny thing is, CanoScan Lide 100 works fine on Win10, with ASUS motherboard ... Have just tried it yesterday. My Lide 120 on the other hand, does not work ...

I have an old 110, a newer 220, and a MX 970. I've tried them each, individually, and none of them work with Windows 10. Canon's complete lack of response to this issue is going to cost them big time in the long run.

Our local Best Buy has removed all Canon scanners from their shelves and has a sign up that they have pulled the units due to "a large number of returns" and "lack of compatibility with the Windows 10" boxes they are currently selling.

When I asked the Best Buy "Geek" how many Canon scanners had been returned, his reply was "All of them"

I finally gave up and ordered an Epson, which I hated to do since all my Canon scanners work just fine on the Windows 7 laptop I plan to give to a relative, but Canon has had months to rectify this situation, and instead they have chosen to ignore customers who were heavily invested in their products.

Canon has cost me hundreds of dollars due to their gross incompetency, and after being a Canon customer for 3 decades, they will never again see one dollar from me.

I just hope this results in a Class Action lawsuit so we can recover some of our loses.

This driver is much better, but the problem still occurs... I am scanning postage stamp sized items at 120% (300dpi). Now scanning fails after 3 or 4 successful scans. Unplugging USB cable is not always necessary to recover. Before scanning was successful only once for every 5 or 6 scanning attempts, and I had to plug and unplug the USB cable frequently, so the device was a disaster. Now it is tolerable, but far from perfect. I am using LiDE 220.

EDIT: Now 9 successful scans and then failure (Code:2, 156, 182). Well...  anyway, much better!

It actually works now!  🙂

I have found driver for my Lide 120 here: http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/lide_series/canoscan_lide_120.asp...

Hi,

all I can say is that is does not work at all new driver or not.

I'm running:

Board: Asus Z97 Pro

Windows 10, 64 Bit

The scanner worked fine before I changed the board. I updated Win7 to Win10 as well, but that was done before I changed the board. I'm not absolutely sure if I tried to use the scanner with the old board and Win10, but I suspect the problem is related to the new chipset and not the operating system.

Any other ideas what to try next?

Ralf

As far as I know, there is no fix, and Canon has refused to even address the issue.  None of the Canoscan LiDE's appear to work with Windows 10 at all. I tried my old 110, then bought a 220 think a newer machine would work.  It didn't. so I finally gave up and bought an Epson, which plugged in and worked perfectly...no issues at all.

So,

I contacted Canan support and their advice was to use USB 2 and install the driver while the Windows firewall is off. What a silly advice. As expected this procedure did not help since I used USB 2 already.

I checked my private hardware store and found a quite old USB 2 hub. Believe it or not, the scanner works when connected to this old USB 2 hub.

This is prove Win10, 64 Bit works, but the scanner/driver/firmware has a problem with the board's USB chipset (board: Asus Z97 Pro).

Ralf

Could you please tell us the make and model of this USB hub?

My retailer won't help me return it and neither will Canon.

Canon will only offer to repair it (doesn't need repairing as we all know) and the retailer is telling me that it is Canon's problem since the issue is with compatibility.

Really down dealing with this mess.

It is from the no name brand TCM being sold by a big coffee roaster. I'm afraid you most likely will not be able to get it any more.

I do not scan a lot. My latest attempts showed there are still some problems. Just scanning a sheet works fine most the time. When I tried to define a region to scan each second attempted failed.

So my previous euphoria is considerably dimmed. Anyway, having the HUB lets me use the saner with some pain.

I addressed this issue to Canon support again but did not get any response.

This was definitely last Canon devices I have bought.

Announcements