cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LIDE 210 Scanner Hangs

Pauleduc
Apprentice

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. can't find a scanner specific forum

I have been using my LiDE 210 scanner to scan some photos.. and every once and a while, the scanner just hangs in the middle of a scan.  Totally locked up.  I have to use the Windows task manager to force it to quit.  After quitting the application (Canon MP Navigator EX)  and restarting it, it again freezes with a 'scanner warming up' message.  Even unplugging the scanner USB cable and replugging it does not fix the problem.  The only way seems to be to shut down my Windows 8.1 system and restart it. 

Any idea what may be causing this hang, and how to fix it?

67 REPLIES 67

suzman
Apprentice

I know I'm coming to this party late in the day and I plan to try the power saving 'fix' you guys suggest.

However... I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and became hugely frustrated with the behaviour of my LiDE210 hanging when it used to work fine.  

I saw the rest of the world is having the same problem and saw that there are lots of theories bouncing around as to what the cause is.

New drivers fron Canon are not the solution.  I'm convinced they can't write drivers as far as I can spit.

The only way I could find to have my LiDE210 scanner working the way it used to was to drive it from a Windows XP virtual machine running inside my Windows 10 environment with the version of LiDE software I had on CD from when I bought the scanner in the first place back in 2014.

The only other thing I did was to uninstall all the Canon crap from Windows 10.

jacinthebox
Apprentice

I wrote earlier that changing my usb cable and choosing the lower power version on Windows 10 cured the hanging problem. However, this was short lived, as the scanner (Lide 210) still freezes after a few scans. I have now linked the scanner back to my old laptop running windows xp using the canon cable and disc that came with the machine. Absolutely no problems now. I cannot understand why Canon can not come up with a software update to solve this problem. It is ridiculous that I cannot use my Lide 210 with my Lenovo C40-30 running Windows 10. Come on Canon. I have always used your products and thought they were second to none. Now I am not so sure.

ican
Apprentice

Hi,

I've been having the same problem with a LIDE220 on a Windows 10 laptop with an i7 processor. Error messages, it freezes, etc.

I tried the power saving option but did not work for me - I did notice however that even in power saving mode my processor went up to 1.5 GHz, so maybe there's something in that since it seemed to scan fine when the speed was below 1Ghz, I don't know.

I have found another solution that seems to work for me so far, although I have not yet used it extensively: scan using the free Windows Scan app

[link removed per forum guidelines]

Scanning through this app the scanner has worked fine. I only had one incident when it forze for a while but it seems it was triggered by the scheduled virus scan starting and the app recovered without having to shut anything down. Aside from that I used it for a while without a glitch. I read somewhere that this app does not use the scanner drivers but its own drivers - don't know if this is true.

Anyway, if you are having this problem it's worth a try.

I've tried everything in this forum, including the new scanner update. Unfortuantely I still had the exact same issues when I was attempting to scan a document last night.

At this point, I think I am going to throw in the towel and say "screw you Canon!" I can't believe I've put up with this garbage for so long from a supposedly "leader" in technology! There's barely been an acknowledgement of an issue and the solutions being provided by Canon can be found in a dusty 20 year-old support guide for idiots.

suzman
Apprentice

In April 2016 Canon released version 17.0.5 of their driver for Windows for this scanner.

I just installed it today on my Windows10 64bit and can report that it resolved the 'hang part way into a scan' problem for me.

Prior to this driver I was using (hahahaha) version 17.0.4.

So...  Don't throw your scanner into the dumpster just yet.  Try this latest driver first.

Man Happy

meletios
Apprentice

I found this forum when I started facing issues with Canon LIDE 210 after installing WIn10.

It was working when I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. But after a Win 10 OS re-install it started

- hanging a long time at warming up scanner message

- and reward my patience with Internal error : 3,20,2/5,20,2 : 19 etc

***To make it work

I went to the exe shortcut location, right click and goto properties and changed the run in compatibility mode to 'Windows 7'

(under compatibility tab)

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Canon Utilities\MP Navigator EX 4.0

Hope this helps

My Canon LiDE220 began to misbehave a couple of weeks ago.  Similar symptoms.  But surprise, surprise, I have fixed it, and I am a Dummy.

My OS is Windows 10 (64 bit). 

Original installation disc for my CanoScan LiDE 220 was Wionows Version M1.0   (QHZ-6507-01)

I Googled Canon CanoScan LiDE220 driver M1.0 and found - Individual Drivers - Canon CanoScan LiDE220 Driver Version 1.02

Downloaded V 1.02

Removed all of the original Canon apps and disconnected the scanner from the computer.

Opened the downloaded V1.02 and followed the instructions.

My showed sign of life before the installation ended.

There was no Canon icon or shortcut on the desktop so went into Program Files - Canon - and fiddled about and found the necessary bit whch installed a desktop icon which I then moved to my task bar.  It starts the process. 

I hope this helps people with the same problem. 

WebsiteConcierg
Apprentice

Hi Pauleduc
Had the same problem - grrr!
Tried driver update, replaced cable, reboot etc etc
Eventually, I discovered that the scanner works fine if I plugged it into an old USB computer port (ie not USB 3.0) and it worked reliably from there (so far anyway 😉  

Announcements