cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LIDE 210 Scanner Hangs

Pauleduc
Apprentice

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. can't find a scanner specific forum

I have been using my LiDE 210 scanner to scan some photos.. and every once and a while, the scanner just hangs in the middle of a scan.  Totally locked up.  I have to use the Windows task manager to force it to quit.  After quitting the application (Canon MP Navigator EX)  and restarting it, it again freezes with a 'scanner warming up' message.  Even unplugging the scanner USB cable and replugging it does not fix the problem.  The only way seems to be to shut down my Windows 8.1 system and restart it. 

Any idea what may be causing this hang, and how to fix it?

67 REPLIES 67

@JP_  

You rock.  I've tried every solution suggested on this forum and this is the only one that worked for me.  It's counterintuitive to me but I can't argue with the results.  I'm running Win 10 and I changed my power plan to Power Saver and the scanner has been working for days without fail.  Prior to that change, the scanner would hang frequently making it unusable.  

I don't know why it works but it does.  Thanks much for your post.  

Attention Canon - Your silence and inaction on this ubiquitous problem is absolutely inexcusable.  I've purchased several Canon scanners over the years and have been loyal to the brand.  No more.  My next scanner will NOT be a Canon and i will share my story with others.  

Thanks for the postiive feedback.

I don't know why it works, but it does.

Thanks. It works with my desktop.

I don't  know why canon don't update this software. I have asus z170 pro gaming (i7 6700k).We are a lot of people with this problem of usb 3.0 (asmedia).

Thanks.

I see now that if you do the changes with power managment. My cpu works at 800mhz and not at 4ghz... 😞

UPDATE PLEASE...

I have always buy canon scanner,..., if I change, it will be an HP :-((

Just to reinforce : CANON your silence and inaction on this ubiquitous problem is absolutely inexcusable. I've purchased several Canon scanners over the years and have been loyal to the brand. No more. My next scanner WILL NOT BE A CANON and i will share my story with others. By the way, I succeeded in discouraging people at the office to replace old Epson scanners with crappy Canon ones. We got instead a dozen of nice working HPs. I recommand as a working alternative to Canon crap.

I am 100% with you! It is absolutely amazing how manny results come up when I search about this issue in Google and the only people who seem to actually be working to resolve this issue are the end users! The whole reason we ever bought Canon was for their reliability, which for the first time in my life, I am calling into question. 

I think the simple solution is to buy an HP as well and I will definitely be steering people away from these scanners. 

If anyone from Canon reads this, if you are trying to find a way to kill this peripheral, you have definitely succeeded. 

JP_
Apprentice

For those of you who found my power-saving solution to this problem useful, I thought I would post the handy file I use to change between power plans quickly. (I'm using Windows 10.)

I created a text file as follows:

@echo off
powercfg -s b98e89c9-9648-4a51-8c15-ca353e9c4b60
echo Reduced
pause
powercfg -s 49ef8fc0-bb7f-488e-b6a0-f1fc77ec649b
Echo Dell
pause

and saved it as "Power plan changer.cmd". I then created a shortcut to that file on my start screen.

"Reduced" is the name my power-saving plan; "Dell" is the name of my usual power plan.

The strings after "-s" are the identities of the power plans in the registry. Open "regedit" and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes

to find the correct strings for your power plans.

Running the file engages the power-saving plan. A command prompt window stays open to remind you to change back to your normal plan once you have finished scanning: press any key to switch back and any key again to exit the window.

Once it's done, it's much less hassle than going into settings every time you want to scan.

Driver v17.0.5 is posted.

History:

[Ver.17.0.5]
- The scan error in the certain PC has been rectified.

Maybe this will fix the scanning errorfor good.

I tried 17.0.5 on 64bit W10 and it seems to have resolved the problem for me. 🙂

I tried the latest driver version 17.0.5 (may 2016) on a Windows 10 anniverary edition 64-bit system. It doesn't work for me. It 'ticks like a clock' when I connect it to the 2.0 usb port on the back of the pc. The lock on the bottom of the scanner is also open so should also not be the problem.

Anyone who can help me?

Announcements