cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LIDE 210 Scanner Hangs

Pauleduc
Apprentice

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. can't find a scanner specific forum

I have been using my LiDE 210 scanner to scan some photos.. and every once and a while, the scanner just hangs in the middle of a scan.  Totally locked up.  I have to use the Windows task manager to force it to quit.  After quitting the application (Canon MP Navigator EX)  and restarting it, it again freezes with a 'scanner warming up' message.  Even unplugging the scanner USB cable and replugging it does not fix the problem.  The only way seems to be to shut down my Windows 8.1 system and restart it. 

Any idea what may be causing this hang, and how to fix it?

67 REPLIES 67

Hi

I see wiatwain.ds file in twain_32 folder. 

My problem is also similar. The scanner just jams/hangs in the middle of a scan without any warning or error code. Usually it happens on 2nd scan. I have to unplug and replug the USB cable and start the scan again. 

Is there any solution yet found for this problem?

Thanks 

No it doesn't look like there is a fix from lazy Canon support and engineers, drqaiser309. To quote a variant of one of Arthur C. Clarke's quotes "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice". With their forum moderators/tech support people not even so much as posting in this thread really shows they don't care or are incompetent.

I am a software developer but I don't know much about firmware / drivers so I can't even help myself in this situation. It must be nice to be able unplug the scanner and replug - or restart one's computer - and have the scanner work again. My scanner is perpetually stuck. I will say the scanner does work on my wife's laptop which uses windows 8.1, whereas I am on windows 10. It was working on Windows 10 but now it doesn't.

Did you try my recipe from 09-14-2015 09:01 PM. Failed updates.

Hi NotSoBright. I did try clearing out that folder and it didnt have an effect. Ive tried everything on this thread from other posters. I appreciate your time and response. Hopefully Canon will chime in...

Hi npp83

Maybe we share a common predestined fate. All gadgets hate me and I them. It is mutual. Hardware or software cooperates with some persons and some others have surmountable troubles. AC Clarke got his marbles right, because it is my experience from ALL THE HELP FORUMS too. Occasionally some savvy person shares his findings online and it might suit to you as well. In general you treated you as pawn by IT people, while you can see these emperors naked. The business doesn´t want a dialogue, because they choose, what is best for you. As you might recall, Win 8 marketing flop was explained by a saga of the high learning curve to customers they could not overcome, not by we got something wrong.

Hello.

The communication errors that have been desscribed can be related to USB issues with the system.  First, make sure that the scanner is connected directly to your computer rather than through any USB hubs or extension devices.  

Make sure that the cable that was included with the scanner is being used.  However, if the error persists, try using a different cable to narrow down the cause of the error.  

Next, check to make sure that the USB drivers for your system are up to date.  

If the issue persists, check to see if  the scanner will operate consistently on a different computer in order to narrow down the cause of the issue.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Add me to the list of customers who are fleeing Cannon due to the incompatibility issues with Windows 10. Neither my CanoScan, nor the scanning function on my MX 5 in 1 printer, will function with Windows 10.

I spent more than an hour on the phone with Cannon Customer Service deleting and reloading useless Drivers, disabling all other functions,  etc. trying to get my CanoScan to work with a brand new Windows 10 box. No joy. The Cannon tech even admitted that he hadn't been able to get any Cannon scanning device to work with Windows 10, and acted like that was Window's fault.

Of course it's not, it's Cannon refusing to publish drivers that actually work.

Does Cannon think that by forcing it's customers to buy new hardware, that we're going to buy another Cannon? If so, you are sadly mistaken.

I have been a Cannon user for decades, and I just ordered my first Epson on Amazon. Your refusal to support Windows 10 means I will never buy another Cannon product again.

I have used my LiDE 210 with Windows XP for thousands of scans with no problems.
I then purchased a new computer with Windows 10 and USB 3.0 ports, and loaded MP Navigator 4.0 with the disc that came with the scanner. I then had this problem where the scanner kept freezing either on warm up or during a scan.
Checking the forum I loaded latest drivers and software but to no avail.

The solution was the USB cable. Luckily I had a spare cable. I unhooked the usb cable that came with the scanner and hooked up the new cable.

Problem solved. No further freezes since.

I tried several USB cables, including the one that comes with the scanner, and still get this issue 😞

Hello.

If you continue to have difficulties with the scanner after reviewing the suggestions in this thread, please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements