cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LIDE 210 Scanner Hangs

Pauleduc
Apprentice

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. can't find a scanner specific forum

I have been using my LiDE 210 scanner to scan some photos.. and every once and a while, the scanner just hangs in the middle of a scan.  Totally locked up.  I have to use the Windows task manager to force it to quit.  After quitting the application (Canon MP Navigator EX)  and restarting it, it again freezes with a 'scanner warming up' message.  Even unplugging the scanner USB cable and replugging it does not fix the problem.  The only way seems to be to shut down my Windows 8.1 system and restart it. 

Any idea what may be causing this hang, and how to fix it?

67 REPLIES 67

good news for this ongoing issue: i have updated to windows10 and the scanner is usable again.  the error still pops up and the scan is aborted but the computer doesnt freeze up anymore and you can retry the scan! it works! (and windows 10 is actually pretty ok)  so finally i can scan again!  my administartion will be so happy with all the new freshly scanned receipts!  very lame from canon that they have not taken this issue serious and have not made some effort to solve the issue.

Thanks schenk

I swapped yesterday to Win 10 (feels faster so far), but the LiDE problem persists. To me it must be related to this PC, which is just 18 mths old with Intel 7i and a brand new HD plus both 3.0  and 2.0 ports of which the both used to cooperate with the scanner until suddenly refused.
LiDE 210 works perfectly with our two laptops on Vista and Win 7 with the original software installed. I tested earlier both the original and the latest driver version on 8.1 with the same disappointment. The scanner starts with handshakes( those sounds), which when it worked used to be too long ones, but now only one and clicking on scanning thereafter you hear a starting sound, which abruptly cuts off. There after the following error messages are found and trouble shooting gives the following indications. This b....rd plays games with me and I am not clever enough to get why.

LiDE 210  .jpg

oh no, the problem is back:(  i think i give up on this scanner..

Capture.JPG

Die neuesten Nachrichten mein Freund

I have exhausted every single option incl. scanning registry errors and refreshing USB ports and hubs plus trying all possible available driver options. PC cannot connect to LiDE, but troubleshooting HW says the scanner is OK (and it works with my Vista and Win 7). I have experienced couple similar, but  short  time problems with extern hard drives and card reader. In conclusion they all tend to point into one direction, to the power supply, which must be inadequate to feed properly USB ports. Now there are two alternatives left, either to buy a self powered USB hub, which can be plugged into mains or to upgrade the power supply to meet the requirements. This too became result from a consultation with my it guy, who could not find yesterday either more means of testing the configuration. When all the devices and the hardware are OK, it must be too a low voltage provided to USBs instead of 5 V required. I am looking on eBay for a 700W replacement to the power supply.

Problem solved this morning.
Failed Windows updates were the problem ( twice prevented booting too in 12 months).

Navigate to Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
The failed update files are in the “Download” folder
Select all files in the Download folder
Delete all of those troublesome files

Huzzah my scanner started working. Now I proceed checking temporary problems with USB ports too. Is it the problem or not enough powers from the supply.

We bought this scanner for a new computer wirth Windows 10, and I have the same issue with it hanging up inbetween documents. What's frustrating is that the document may be 10 pages long and I get to number 7 or 8 and have to start again so I can attach them as one document in an email. I find it very frustrating as it takes me two or three more attempts to complete the scan as one full document. (We bought this to use for photos and documents, whereas I think most buy for the photo scanning.)

evert
Apprentice

Unfortunately I'll be joining this group...

Had the issue first with Lide 210-Windows 8.1, Then Lide 210-Windows 10, and now with Lide 220-Windows 10...

I decided to go for a totally out-of-the-box-thinking method, and hooked my scanner up to my NAS, with help of VirtualHere. All my problems are gone! My scanner now works like a charm, both the LiDE 220, and the 210.

Perhaps not a solution for everyone, but it sure fixed it for me.

npp83
Apprentice

I am stuck in this boat too with Windows 10, ESET antivirus (yes, I have turned it off and the scanner is still stuck in the "warming up" phase"). I have a LIDE 220. I have tried everything. Even suggestions made by other posters and nothing works.

After a while, I end up getting a dialog that says "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons: - Scanner is turned off. - USB cable is disconnected. Blah blah. Code: 2,156,74.

This needs some serious attention, Canon, too many people are having issues with your scanners for there not to be a solution by now!

NotSoBright
Contributor

Hi Pauleduc
I had similar problems progressing into a total dysfunction. I bought LiDE 210 to Windows 8 and sometimes already there, it had to be unplugged and plugged in again to get it going. After Swapping to Windows 8.1 the problem started occurring more frequently until the scanner started freezing on "scanner warming up" I was suggested that upgrading to Windows 10 might solve the issue, so a waited a while, because the date was so close.
The problem persisted. I consulted with my two IT guys with meager results. One suggestion was upgrading the power supply to guarantee enough voltage to USB ports. Then I came across online with an idea of Windows failed updates causing many similar problems and in my case this solved the issue on the spot.
I warmly recommend this solution, because there is no risk involved. You find these failed updates in Download folder.

You select all the files on the folder and delete them. They are just trash clogging your OS.
The dialogue box says access denied, but left click on continue, if you have administrative privileges, if not, right click and select run as administrator. This should do the trick.

After the success with LiDE I regularly delete items in this folder. Previously I also experienced booting problems being Windows updates the culprit.
1.jpg3.jpg

Announcements