cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LIDE 210 Scanner Hangs

Pauleduc
Apprentice

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. can't find a scanner specific forum

I have been using my LiDE 210 scanner to scan some photos.. and every once and a while, the scanner just hangs in the middle of a scan.  Totally locked up.  I have to use the Windows task manager to force it to quit.  After quitting the application (Canon MP Navigator EX)  and restarting it, it again freezes with a 'scanner warming up' message.  Even unplugging the scanner USB cable and replugging it does not fix the problem.  The only way seems to be to shut down my Windows 8.1 system and restart it. 

Any idea what may be causing this hang, and how to fix it?

67 REPLIES 67

Pauleduc
Apprentice

I am having the same problem.. initially, with the LiDE 210, and because I thought the scanner or cable was defective, I went out and bought a newer model, the 220.

Turns out that I am having the exact same problem with the 220.  It is really frustrating because I have a lot of images to scan, and after scanning a bunch of them, the scanner just hangs with platen half way through the scan. Like the original poster, the only way out of this is to reboot my Windows 8.1 system - but the most frustrating thing about this is that all my scans prior to the hang are LOST!

So, with a new scanner and new scanner software (the 220 uses IJ Scan, the 210 used Navigator), I am getting the exact same problem.

My system is completely up to date, and my BIOS is also at the latest level (i updated it thinking maybe the USB drivers needed updating, since this is a USB driven scanner)

I reported this to Canon support, and they said they never heard of this problem.. guess they don't read these forums.

schenk
Contributor

i have the same problem, my scanner freezes after a couple of scans. have to restart. 

May I ask what OS you are using?

win 8.1    X64

Ja
Apprentice
I am receiving a pop up that states "Internal Error occurred. Scanner driver will be closed Code 5,202,52." I reinstalled the driver to no avail.

Hi Ja,

If you have any antivirus or firewall programs installed on your computer, please temporarily disable them, then attempt to scan again.  Sometimes these programs can block the scanning process.  If you still experience difficulty, please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It is unlikely that the AV program is to blame as it would manifest itself at the beginning of the process and preventing any scans rather than after it had already processed several.

RadicalRoadie
Apprentice

Same issue here. It used to work, for about 6 months, then just stopped despite no changes to my system. Canon seems indifferent. 

Has anyone been able to resolve this or do I simply have to buy a new scanner? It will NOT be a Canon

Hi RadicalRoadie and KKendall35,

To try and narrow down the issue, I would like to see if you experience the same issue when scanning from the Microsoft Paint program.  To scan from Paint, please follow these steps:

1. From the Windows 8.1 Start screen, press the Windows Key+ R, then type mspaint and click OK.

2. Once inside of Paint, go to the FILE menu and select FROM SCANNER OR CAMERA. A window will appear asking you what device you want to use. Please select your scanner, then press the OK button.

3. In the next window, select any options you would like, then click the SCAN button.  Please try to scan more than two items.  Are you able to scan more than two items in a row successfully?  

Also, I would like to check in a folder called TWAIN_32 to see if there are items in there unrelated to the scanner that may be interfering with the scanning process.  To view the items in the TWAIN_32 folder, please follow these steps:

1. Open your C: drive.

2. Locate the WINDOWS folder, then double-click to open it.

3. Locate the TWAIN_32 folder, then double-click to open it.

4. Inside of the TWAIN_32 folder, you will see a folder for your scanner; are there any other items in the TWAIN_32 folder?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements