cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan Lide 100 with new Mac

diotapio
Apprentice

I'm trying to use an older CanoScan Lide 100 with my new Macbook Pro with the latest Catalina OS version. The drivers for this model are available only until MacOS Yosemite, but they worked nicely with my previous Macbook with Catalina until the Mac suffered a painful death a few days ago and they also installed without any errors on this Mac as well. However, this new Mac has only USB C connectors and the scanner has regular USB - mini USB cable.

I tried to use a USB C - USB adapter with the original cable. With that the Mac does see the scanner as it pops up in the Image Capture device list nicely. However, when I try to scan something, I get an error message saying this:

"Scanner reported an error. 

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:

- Scanner is turned off

- USB cable is disconnected

Please check and try again

<OK>"

Are there any hints how this scanner could be used with a USB C only Mac? I believe that Canon probably doesn't support this environment, but if someone has any hints how to get this working, I'm more than happy hearing from you 😉

--Tapio

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Gretings,

Your hunch about the hardare not being supported could be correct.

Are you using a good quality USB-C to USB adapter?  All are not created equal.  if the PIN outs do not match or if inferior product is used, a communication failure might occur. 

Apple products (as I'm sure you know) can also be finnicky about the accessories they work with.  I carry a few display and all in one adapters in my bag since i never know what I might need for presentations or connectivity.

Try installing the v4.1.4 ICA driver.  If this doesn't install or fix, (and it might not since its not certified for OS Catalina) it might be time for a new device.

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwNjU3OTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi diotapio,

The CanoScan LiDE 100 is not supported in that environment. You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

Thank you for the offer. I live in Finland, how does this work over here?

--Tapio

Hi,

Unfortunately, the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

We recommend visiting https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements