cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan LiDE 220 Error - Hardware or Software?

JLSchutt
Apprentice

I bought a CanoScan LiDE 220 scanner in December 2014, and I liked it so much that I bought another one for my wife a few days later. We have been very pleased with both the scanners (no separate electrical supply needed) and the software for the past four years. We have been using them successfully on Windows 10 for many months. My wife's scanner has recently been reporting an error. It is in a ScanGear dialog box, and the exact wording is: "Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons: - Scanner is turned off. - USB cable is disconnected. Please check and try again. Scanner driver will be closed. Code:2,156,86" This error message is obviously not accurate, because just before it is displayed, the scanning bar on the scanner moves about an inch, and the light is on. So far I have tried two things without success: (1) Downloaded and installed the latest driver for the scanner from the Canon website. (2) Bought and used a brand new cable in case the problem involved the existing cable, although it has never been moved during use. I suppose the scanner might have developed a hardware problem during four years of very light use, but my scanner continues to work fine on an almost identical PC (hardware and software), and it has been used considerably more than my wife's scanner. Because I have this hunch that the problem might be caused by driver or software issues, I am hesitating to just toss the scanner and buy another one. Are there people out there in this community who might have some suggestions that would allow the scanner to work? I would appreciate any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As Arthur suggested, I called Canon support this morning and spoke with a helpful agent. Before I called, however, I had a bright idea - switching scanners between computers. My wife's faulty scanner gave the same error message on my PC and my scanner worked on her PC, so that ruled out software or driver problems. The support agent agreed with my supposition that the scanner itself is at fault. Since we've gotten four years of use from the scanner, I will discard it. The agent recommended the LiDE 400 as a good replacement, and I have already ordered one. I will get it and will pass along my LiDE 220 to my wife, who doesn't do as much scanning as I do.

--Jim--

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

HI JLSchutt,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues. Please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays).

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your reply, Arthur. As you suggest, I will plan to contact your support group soon.

--Jim--

As Arthur suggested, I called Canon support this morning and spoke with a helpful agent. Before I called, however, I had a bright idea - switching scanners between computers. My wife's faulty scanner gave the same error message on my PC and my scanner worked on her PC, so that ruled out software or driver problems. The support agent agreed with my supposition that the scanner itself is at fault. Since we've gotten four years of use from the scanner, I will discard it. The agent recommended the LiDE 400 as a good replacement, and I have already ordered one. I will get it and will pass along my LiDE 220 to my wife, who doesn't do as much scanning as I do.

--Jim--

Announcements