cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan 5600F: "Can not communicate with scanner" on a Mac

tbessoir
Apprentice

I get this message  "Can not communicate with scanner".

The scanner is on and connected. The USB port works fine with over devices.

I updated drivers and software.

I am running Mac OS X 10.11.6

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

Ramona
Authority

Hi tbessoir,

We can temporarily move the data source file to see if this will allow you to scan. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Open LIBRARY, then IMAGE CAPTURE, then TWAIN DATA SOURCES, and select the data source file.

2. Please temporarily move the data source file to another location, such as the desktop by dragging the file while holding down the COMMAND key.

3. Restart your Mac, then attempt to scan again.

If you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative for further assistance by entering your product name and selecting a support method here. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Ramona,

What does it mean if you don't have the TWAIN Data Sources folder (nor Image Capture folder)?  I'm running Mojave 10.14 and having troubles getting my MacBook to even recognize the scanner (CanoScan 5600F). I'm wondering if this might be the issue (or part of).

Thank you.

Hi moonmaiden,

Please disconnect the USB cable and follow these steps:

1.  Cick 1 time on your desktop so "Finder" appears in the upper left corner.  To the right of that, please click "Go".

2.  Click on Go to folder.

3.  In that box, please type:

/Library/Image Capture/Devices

and then click the Go button.

4.  In the folder that appears, please remove everything related to Canon.

Once complete, please download and install the latest driver (5600F Scanner Driver Ver.14.11.5h) :

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/scanners/film-negative-scanner/can...

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for responding.  I tried as you'd suggested, but no luck.  I think it's time for me to accept that the scanner is most likely broken.  I'm just crushed that I have to toss this into a landfill and buy another scanner when I won't be using it too often. Alas...

Hi,

I just installed Mojave 10.14.6 onto my MacBook Air. 

I could not get this software driver to work with Mojave, CanoScan5600F and my brain.  Frustrating- I could get the scanner to work with elCapitan, my old operating system. 

I followed the instructions posted on 10-21-2019 as closely as I was able, but I could not get my computer to talk to the scanner.  The 5600F Scanner Driver Ver.14.11.5h  would not work for me.

I am now able to get my CanoScan5600F to work with Mojave.  I did this by installing MP Navigator EX Version 2.09.  This seems to be an older driver, but it works, and I am happy.

Announcements