cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan 5600F not working with Mac OS10.15

skyocean
Apprentice

The canon website driver update only has Mac OS10.14 as latest. 

When I try to open scanner, it will show connection error.

once a while it connects, very rarely. Don't kown how.

Please help. Appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The 5600F does not appear to be supported under Catalina (10.15).

Canon has been been incrementally updating drivers for thier printers and scanners. However, there is no guarantee of support or timeline for this. 

Your scanner is about 7 yrs old.  Only Canon can say if it will get Catalina drivers.

If it doesn't you might be eligible for their Upgrade program.  You'll have to contact sales to inquire about this. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for the responce and information about upgrade. I'll keep that in mind. Very helpful.

BTW, I also talked with Apple support. And they said Mac OS10.15 has some issues communicating through USB. So they suggest me to upgrade to OS10.15.2.

After upgrading, it still shows error when connecting with Canoscan first, but then run second time, it will work. So, it is not perfect, but it can work.

Very appreciate your quick help. And sorry for reply a little late due to busy schedule.

All the best for year 2020

Canon has commented on another thread that their 5600F scanner driver for Mac OS DOES NOT support Catalina (10.15). The Canon rep's comment was to upgrade to a NEW Canon scanner. They would rather you buy a new scanner from them (when mine works perfectly) than spend the money to upgrade the product. This is planned obsolescence.

Note to Canon: If your solution for me is to buy a new scanner (when my Canon scanner works perfectly) because you will no longer provide a driver for the latest Mac OS, do you really think my next scanner will be a Canon? To have to trash a perfectly good piece of hardware just because the manufacturer no longer wants to support it by providing a usable driver, shows gross disregard for the environment and for your customers. No, I will NOT buy another Canon product OF ANY KIND. Nice way to reward customer loyalty.

Announcements