cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buttons on LiDE 120 dont work

tchung
Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with buttons on scanner LiDE 120. I cant use tham for installed scan utility. I installed it on many machines but only once I was successful with button setting.

I tried latest drivers from canon support with no result.

I know where to connect the utility to button, but I cant choose that.

props_bad.jpg

Scan utility is installed:

utility.jpg

Could anybody help me please?

Thank you. Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Item 12 in this thread might help.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/Canoscan-9000F-One-Touch-Buttons-Wha...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Item 12 in this thread might help.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/Canoscan-9000F-One-Touch-Buttons-Wha...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, it really works.

Thank you so much.

Unfortunetely the procedure above didnt solve my problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Usually it works on new installed machine. On others old machines Im changing for old LiDE110 with canon printer LBP7100. I tried uninstall old drivers and install only new LiDE120 - buttons didnt work. I tried install first LiDE110 and canon printer on new installed machine and then install LiDE120 and sometimes works. Everything I do as administrator. Does anybody have a tip please?

@tchung wrote:

Does anybody have a tip please?

Yes, ditch the LIDE 120 and buy a non-Canon item.   Generally, Canon hardware is OK, but their software producers are becoming demented.  I have  the LIDE 120 and a Pixma 4750 printer; I have, after some months of use, no end of trouble getting them to do what I want. 

I have just copied, using the front button, an A4 poster.  The result was an A5 part of it printed on A4 paper.  Apparently I should have fiddled about with the settings before pressing the button.  That means every time you simply want a quick copy of something you have to check the settings.

The "My Image Garden" route is hardly intuitive.  Again, I spend more time changing settings than I do on the scanning. 

My LIDE 90, not compatible with Windows 10, had a simpler, more useful, interface.

As soon as I can afford it both are going in the bin, to be replaced by other makes.

Hi Orpheus2000,

thank you for answer. I finaly reached the same result and started change devices on stations.

Actually, that did not solve it for me.

But after a little bit of searching, I found out a solution that should always work - worked for me on my Canon Lide 120.

I thought I post this here, so that other people profit from it also - although I must say, I would expect Canon to come up with a decent piece of software that works reliably.

DISCLAIMER: What I am going to explain involves direct changes of your Windows registry. That's a bit like an open-heart-surgery. If you are not careful, you can break your system. Don't blame me, if that happens. 🙂

Background Info:

Canon ships a software called IJ Scan Utility. If you install the scanner drivers, this is installed, too.
This tool is supposed to fire up, when you press one of the scanner buttons. Once it fired up, it is going to execute one of the "rules" defined in Canon's quick menu settings, where you configure what should happen, when the buttons are pressed.

If all things were as they should be, there would be entries in your Windows registry that register IJ Scan Utility as a so-called Autoplay Handler for your scanner's buttons using the Microsoft STI Still Image Application API.

Since these registry keys are either missing or not properly set, I will describe how to do that manually.

A big thank you to Matteo Rossi, whose post led me to the right direction.

So, let's get started.

Solution:

1. Backing up your registry!
    • Open up the Windows Start menu and type regedit. This will open up the registry editor.
    • Select the "Computer" entry, i.e. the root node of the registry.
    • Choose File > Export..., give a file name and export your registry. Note: this can take a while. The registry is big!
  2. Finding out the GUID and executable path of IJ Scan Utitlity. You will need that when we add registry entries.
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Canon\IJ Scan Utility
    • Copy the value of AppPath and InstallID to notepad or note them down.
      Find Out GUID.jpg
  3. Registering IJ Scan Utiltity as Autoplay Handler
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers
    • Right-click the Handlers folder and add a new entry. Call that entry WIA_{[InstallID from Step 2]}
      AutoplayHandlers Entry.jpg
    • Select the newly created entry, and add the following String-type fields on the right.
      • Name: Action, Value: Start IJ Scan Utility
      • Name: CLSID, Value: WIACLSID
      • Name: DefaultIcon, Value: sti.dll,0
      • Name: InitCmdline, Value: /WiaCmd;[AppPath from Step 2] /StiDevice:%1 /StiEvent:%2;
      • Name: Provider, Value: IJ Scan Utility
      • The result should look like this:
        AutoplayHandlers Entry.jpg
  4. Registering IJ Scan Utility as a Still Image Application
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Still Image\Registered Applications
    • Add a new String value on the right
      Name: IJ Scan Utility, Value: [AppPath from Step 2]
      RegisteredApplications Entry.jpg
  5. Adding IJ Scan Utility as STI Proxy Event Handler
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StillImage\Events\STIProxyEvent\
    • Right-click on STIProxyEvent folder and add a new entry called {[InstallID from Step 2]}
    • Select the newly added entry, and add the following values on the right:
      Name: Cmdline, Value: [AppPath from Step 2] /StiDevice:%1 /StiEvent:%2
      Name: Desc, Value: IJ Scan Utility
      Name: Icon, Value: [AppPath from Step 2],0
      Name: Name, Value: IJ Scan Utility
      STIProxy Entry.jpg
  6. Save and close the registry editor.
  7. Restart your machine, since these changes might only take effect if Windows is restarted.
  8. Verifying that IJ Scan Utility is properly registered
    • After restart, log in and open Windows' Control Panel (German: Systemsteuerung)
    • Open the Device Manager and select Scanners and Cameras
    • Select the scanner, and Properties, then switch to the Events tab.
    • Select the respective scanner button event from the dropdown and verify that Start this program is set to IJ Scan Utility (if not, change it so it is)
    • Hit Ok.

That's it. You should be good to go now. And when you press a button on the scanner, whatever you configured in Canon's Quick Menu should be executed. E.g. if you press the copy button, the scanner should scan a document and then automatically send it to your selected printer.

Hope this helps.

somnathparande
Apprentice

Follow Bellow simple steps:-

1) Disable your antivirus till the next step done

2) Install Driver and software of canon canoscan

3)  And you are done

Announcements